Posted to alt.home.repair

Default fixing squeaky floor with plain wood screw?

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 22:21:32 -0400, Nil
wrote:

On 16 Jul 2015, wrote in alt.home.repair:

Ring nails were used in the days before power screw drivers - and
they don't hold any better now than they did then. It is because
of ring nails that people now have squeaky floors to fix with
screws.

How is that? Is there some problem with ring nails compared to regular
smooth nails?

Nope - but ALL nails will loosen over time.
Ring nails were better than plain nails, but not as good as screws.
All of my flooring was nailed. Other than the hardwood in the
bedrooms, ALL of my flooring is now screwed down. So are all the
planks on my deck, and the Trex on my front porch..

The only squeaks in my floors now are in the bedrooms - one squeak in
the master that gets worse in the winter when the humidity drops., and
one intermittent squeak in the spare bedroom