Posted to alt.home.repair

Default fixing squeaky floor with plain wood screw?

bob haller wrote:
On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 3:48:57 PM UTC-4, Mayayana wrote:
I'd use drywall screws. They're easy to drive in
and don't need to be pre-drilled in plywood or joists.
I don't actually use "wood screws" for anything.
If I need small screws I use sheet metal screws.
Better threads that drive better. Wood screws
are designed for hand drilling and hand screwing.

If you're going through oak you'll need to pre-drill
countersunk holes... and presumably be certain
that you'll never want to have that oak showing
again.

drywall screws arent designed to be strong, they may break, and the
noise will return

deck screws would be better

I'll second the deck screws . The length should be long enough to put at
least 1/2 the screw into the joist , minimum of 3" assuming 3/4 under and
3/4 decking . Do be sure to hit the joists , otherwise you're just wasting
your time .

--
Snag