Posted to alt.home.repair

Default fixing squeaky floor with plain wood screw?

On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 2:46:04 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 2:48:03 PM UTC-4, Bob wrote:
I'm about to replace carpet and want to fix some squeaky areas at the
same time.

Since I can tear off the carpet to do this, I don't need to use those
special snap off screws for carpet, right?

Can I just use a generic wood screw (countersunk flat head)?
Is 2 inch about right length?

I believe that you want a screw with a enough unthreaded section of shaft so
that there are no threads in the sub-floor.

You want the head of the screw to pull the everything above the joist down
tightly onto the joist and not end up with a gap between the sub floor and
joist where the threads forced things apart.

If you have ever seen those tapered drill bits for pre-drilling wood screws,
they will often be wider at the top near the head for this reason.

If you have access to the joists from below, you might want to have someone
walk the floor while you locate the squeaks from below. Where possible,
inject construction adhesive between the joist and sub-floor before
screwing.

I see an opening for a crude joke but I'm not going to do it. Nope, nope, nope.
^_^

[8~{} Uncle Squeaky Monster