Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default Amazon Prime Day Is July 15:

On 07/16/2015 02:55 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Since they started charging state sales tax, I only buy from Amazon
when I can't find it elsewhere, or the total Amazon price is the best.

Technically, they are not "charging" sales tax, but are collecting it
for the state you live in.

Look at the convenience though. Amazon takes the tax for you
eliminating the need for you to file a Use Tax form with your state and
pay them directly.

It is part of our double standard. When we see a wealthy person get
jailed for tax evasion we cheer tha the SOB got caught. When we buy
mail order and don't pay the sales tax, we consider it a benefit.

Amazon collects Sales Tax only for certain states -- presumably the ones
where they have facilities. I've never paid Sales Tax on Amazon orders,
and there's an option on the state Income Tax form to have Sales/Use Tax
computed as a percentage of income. Even if Amazon did charge Sales/Use
Tax *and* shipping, most things would still be cheaper than buying locally.

Perce