Posted to alt.home.repair
Mrs MN wasp warrior Mrs MN wasp warrior is offline

Default bald faced hornet nest - how to remove?

replying to zootal, Mrs MN wasp warrior wrote:
usenet wrote:

I have discovered a bald faced hornet nest in my garden. It is about the
size of a softball so far, but growing. My daughter has already bee
stung by one of them. I'll tolerate paper wasps and honey bees and mud
daubers, but these things have to go. How can I get rid of them without
getting all stung up. Can I just hit them with horner spray after dark?
Or will they be active enough to come after me even after dark?

Here's my approach, after being stung twice earlier today and discovering
the nest. Tonight after a heavy rain storm, I fully dressed in my
snowmobile attire, pants, boots, jacket, gloves, and full face helmet. (
Very hot in July!) ( I suppose my motorcycle gear would have worked too,
but felt safer with the snowmobile attie. I covered my two small
flashlights with red paper I taped onto them and located the nest, It was
only3 feet off the ground hanging below an unused boat lift. I carefully
placed a pail filled with a quart of ammonia directly under the nest using
my Kayak paddle. I then used a 10 foot stick to dislodge the nest into
the household ammonia in the pail below. I walked away from the area and
around the house and entered without them knowing what just hit them. I
trust they will all be quite dead in the morning!

I've used ammonia on huge bumble bees knocking them right out of their
flight with a small handheld sprayer while we removed their nest they made
in the insulation of our pump house. So I though it should work on these
nasty stinging wasps too!