Posted to alt.home.repair

Default bald faced hornet nest - how to remove?

I have discovered a bald faced hornet nest in my garden. It is about the
size of a softball so far, but growing. My daughter has already bee
stung by one of them. I'll tolerate paper wasps and honey bees and mud
daubers, but these things have to go. How can I get rid of them without
getting all stung up. Can I just hit them with horner spray after dark?
Or will they be active enough to come after me even after dark?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"zootal" wrote in message
I have discovered a bald faced hornet nest in my garden. It is about the
size of a softball so far, but growing. My daughter has already bee stung
by one of them. I'll tolerate paper wasps and honey bees and mud daubers,
but these things have to go. How can I get rid of them without getting all
stung up. Can I just hit them with horner spray after dark? Or will they be
active enough to come after me even after dark?

I don't know what horner spray is, but I get those cans that shoot 20'. I
hit the nest and get away. An hour later, hit it again. Give it an hour
and you can get in close and saturate it.

But then, I am not too bright. Last year I dug a large wasp nest out of the
ground next to my boat dock and threw it into the lake. There were wasps
everywhere, but not one stung me! (possibly they were confused by someone
acting so foolishly) I didn't have any insectacide handy, so I had to go to
plan B.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"zootal" wrote
I have discovered a bald faced hornet nest in my garden. It is about the
size of a softball so far, but growing. My daughter has already bee stung
by one of them. I'll tolerate paper wasps and honey bees and mud daubers,
but these things have to go. How can I get rid of them without getting all
stung up. Can I just hit them with horner spray after dark? Or will they be
active enough to come after me even after dark?

==
I sprayed/saturated a large--no, huge--nest after dark and none came after
me.
I was standing as far away as I could get and close to my back door. I had
already
been attacked by this swarm and wasn't taking any chances. Next day there
was no
movement from the hive. They were done.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gini wrote:
"zootal" wrote
I have discovered a bald faced hornet nest in my garden. It is about the
size of a softball so far, but growing. My daughter has already bee stung
by one of them. I'll tolerate paper wasps and honey bees and mud daubers,
but these things have to go. How can I get rid of them without getting all
stung up. Can I just hit them with horner spray after dark? Or will they be
active enough to come after me even after dark?

==
I sprayed/saturated a large--no, huge--nest after dark and none came after
me.
I was standing as far away as I could get and close to my back door. I had
already
been attacked by this swarm and wasn't taking any chances. Next day there
was no
movement from the hive. They were done.

Ahh, good. I know wasps are not usually active after dark, but I've
never taken on a yellow jacket or bald faced hornet nest before. I think
they are more active when it's hot, I wonder if I should wait until the
weather cools? It's 100 today and tomorrow but expected to cool down
soon. This particular nest is 4' above the surface of an above ground
pool, which is right next to the garden. I'm not sure if I can spray it
without contaminating the water....but it's gotta go....
Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

zootal wrote:
I have discovered a bald faced hornet nest in my garden. It is about the
size of a softball so far, but growing. My daughter has already bee
stung by one of them. I'll tolerate paper wasps and honey bees and mud
daubers, but these things have to go. How can I get rid of them without
getting all stung up. Can I just hit them with horner spray after dark?
Or will they be active enough to come after me even after dark?

BFH are good night fliers so don't have anyone actually holding the
flashlight if you attack by night. If the nest is free hanging you can
quickly cover it with a trash bag and break it off inside the bag.

Lar

Posted to alt.home.repair

zootal writes:

How can I get rid of them without
getting all stung up. Can I just hit them with horner spray after dark?

Spectracide Pro Wasp and Hornet Spray from Home Depot.

This stuff is the old fashioned petroleum distillate (roughly a light
kerosene or mineral spirits) with a little insecticide. Squirts a stream
from the can. Soak the nest.

Water-based stuff is asking for a duel. Hit em with kerosene and they're
*immediately* disabled. You're far enough away that they never know what
hit em. Even if they did, they can't navigate in the dark.

Once you do this you'll see how easy it is.

A little diesel fuel, lamp oil, Coleman fuel, or other petroleum distillate
works just as well, if you can figure out how to squirt it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 11, 12:16 am, zootal wrote:
Gini wrote:
"zootal" wrote
[...]

without contaminating the water....but it's gotta go....- Hide quoted text -

I spray them anytime I see them which is when it is light. Wasp/
hornet spray knocks them down immediately and I've never had a nest
empty out and come after me. A good shot of spray in nest opening
will probably kill whole colony and you can remove the next day.
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 11, 12:42 am, Richard J Kinch wrote:
zootal writes:

Water-based stuff is asking for a duel. Hit em with kerosene and they're
*immediately* disabled. You're far enough away that they never know what
hit em. Even if they did, they can't navigate in the dark.

I used some Real-Kill wasp&hornet spray and found out the dueling part
the hard way... on the roof.

For spot killing singletons, brake-cleaner drops them instantly, and
leaves no toxic residue.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

zootal wrote:

Gini wrote:

Ahh, good. I know wasps are not usually active after dark, but I've
never taken on a yellow jacket or bald faced hornet nest before. I think
they are more active when it's hot, I wonder if I should wait until the
weather cools? It's 100 today and tomorrow but expected to cool down
soon.

Can't recall messing with bald faced hornets in cool weather, but they
are actually not a hornet but a type of yellow jackets and a trait of is
yellow jackets that they are somewhat cold tolerate. I have seen them
active with temps in the high 30's.

This particular nest is 4' above the surface of an above ground
pool, which is right next to the garden. I'm not sure if I can spray it
without contaminating the water....but it's gotta go....

Should be able to protect the water with a drop cloth and some tall
stakes. Secure two corners to the tall stakes. Then secure two other
corners to shorter stakes creating an angle for the over spray to run off.

Lar
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

zootal wrote:
I have discovered a bald faced hornet nest in my garden. It is about the
size of a softball so far, but growing. My daughter has already bee
stung by one of them. I'll tolerate paper wasps and honey bees and mud
daubers, but these things have to go. How can I get rid of them without
getting all stung up. Can I just hit them with horner spray after dark?
Or will they be active enough to come after me even after dark?

Normally you can just use a water hose and high pressure nozzle and
knock the nest off and they'll abandon it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

i use gasoline in a garden sprayer.put on winter cover alls and
gloves,hat. spray into the nest hole at night for about 10-15 seconds.
for ground bees i pour some gasoline into the hole at night.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 20:38:29 -0700, zootal
wrote:

I have discovered a bald faced hornet nest in my garden. It is about the
size of a softball so far, but growing. My daughter has already bee
stung by one of them. I'll tolerate paper wasps and honey bees and mud
daubers, but these things have to go. How can I get rid of them without
getting all stung up. Can I just hit them with horner spray after dark?
Or will they be active enough to come after me even after dark?

I recall a story from the 70s when hair spray-on nets were the rage.
This lady used the spray to immobilize all manner of insect pests as
once sprayed it held down their wings and slowed down their legs. I
never did get around to testing it.

My innovation was to use a badminton racquet to swat yellowjackets
from a nest under my front door concrete landing. I couldn't reach
the nest by any method. I could hardly miss with the racquet and the
strings cut up the YJs neatly midflight before they could send out any
alarm signals.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 15:30:52 GMT, PaPaPeng wrote:

My innovation was to use a badminton racquet to swat yellowjackets
from a nest under my front door concrete landing. I couldn't reach
the nest by any method. I could hardly miss with the racquet and the
strings cut up the YJs neatly midflight before they could send out any
alarm signals.

LOL! I got to watch two safety department guys use tennis rackets;
chasing pigeons and swatting them.
--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ook Ook is offline

"zootal" wrote in message
I have discovered a bald faced hornet nest in my garden. It is about the
size of a softball so far, but growing. My daughter has already bee stung
by one of them. I'll tolerate paper wasps and honey bees and mud daubers,
but these things have to go. How can I get rid of them without getting all
stung up. Can I just hit them with horner spray after dark? Or will they be
active enough to come after me even after dark?

I have some spectracide right here. In a few hours it will be dark, and by
by hornets!

It's a cute little nest - if it wasn't in such a bad spot, I would leave it
alone as they tend to be beneficial insects and don't bother us in the
garden. Yellow Jacketws I kill with extreme prejudice. Paper wasps and mud
daubers I ignore if they are not in my doorways. These guys put there nest
in the wrong place.

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...est/index.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've heard large quanities of gasoline helps.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Toller" wrote in message
Last year I dug a large wasp nest out of the
: ground next to my boat dock and threw it into the lake. There
were wasps
: everywhere, but not one stung me! (possibly they were confused
by someone
: acting so foolishly) I didn't have any insectacide handy, so I
had to go to
: plan B.
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'veheard of using a Shop Vac with the nozzle a coupl einches
from a yellow jacket nest. Eventually you get em all int he shop
vac. I'm not sure what you do then. Some days I wonder how to
wrap up these wondeful plans.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote:
:
: My innovation was to use a badminton racquet to swat
yellowjackets
: from a nest under my front door concrete landing. I couldn't
reach
: the nest by any method. I could hardly miss with the racquet
and the
: strings cut up the YJs neatly midflight before they could send
out any
: alarm signals.
:
: LOL! I got to watch two safety department guys use tennis
rackets;
: chasing pigeons and swatting them.
: --
: Oren
:
: ..through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the
configuration in the photo..

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ook Ook is offline

And a match :-).

In all seriousness...many years I lived on the Island of Guam, where we had
a small dark wasp we called a boonie bee. It was a small paper wasp, and was
actually non-agressive. The problem with them is that they would build nests
*everywhere*, practically overnight. To get rid of the nests, we would take
a rag, stick it on the end of a long pole, put some light oil, turpentine,
etc. on it, light it, and then use it to burn the nest. Worked great.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I've heard large quanities of gasoline helps.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ook Ook is offline

I've heard about that also. I guess it would work for those in the nest, but
the ones returning to the nest might get real ticked at you. And if the
power fails or the power cord comes unplugged, then you would be in a heap
of hurting. Then you have to figure out what to do when you turn the vac
off. You will have a bag full of very angry bees that will fly back out the
hose as fast as they flew in. Maybe if you sprayed some insecticide into the
thing before turning it off?

.

wrote:
:
: My innovation was to use a badminton racquet to swat
yellowjackets
: from a nest under my front door concrete landing. I couldn't
reach
: the nest by any method. I could hardly miss with the racquet
and the
: strings cut up the YJs neatly midflight before they could send
out any
: alarm signals.
:
: LOL! I got to watch two safety department guys use tennis
rackets;
: chasing pigeons and swatting them.
: --
: Oren
:
: ..through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the
configuration in the photo..

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have discovered a bald faced hornet nest in my garden. It is about the
size of a softball so far
Can I just hit them with horner spray after dark?

For something that small, I'd hit it in the daytime...Wasp spray (shoots
about 10 feet) thoroughly and knock it down..scoop it up into a plastic bag
and dispose... get someone to "watch your back" as you do it in case a
couple "come home" while you re at it.

Or sure, do it at night..BTDT too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rudy wrote:
I have discovered a bald faced hornet nest in my garden. It is about the
size of a softball so far
Can I just hit them with horner spray after dark?

For something that small, I'd hit it in the daytime...Wasp spray (shoots
about 10 feet) thoroughly and knock it down..scoop it up into a plastic bag
and dispose... get someone to "watch your back" as you do it in case a
couple "come home" while you re at it.

Or sure, do it at night..BTDT too.

Alas, the dastardly deed is done. I nailed it with some Spectracide
hornet spray. Actually blew a hole in the nest. A dozen dead bees on the
pool cover because the nest was over the pool. Dead or dying larva all
over the place. We did it shortly after dusk, when it was dark enough
that they were all in the nest.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to zootal, Mrs MN wasp warrior wrote:
usenet wrote:

I have discovered a bald faced hornet nest in my garden. It is about the
size of a softball so far, but growing. My daughter has already bee
stung by one of them. I'll tolerate paper wasps and honey bees and mud
daubers, but these things have to go. How can I get rid of them without
getting all stung up. Can I just hit them with horner spray after dark?
Or will they be active enough to come after me even after dark?

Here's my approach, after being stung twice earlier today and discovering
the nest. Tonight after a heavy rain storm, I fully dressed in my
snowmobile attire, pants, boots, jacket, gloves, and full face helmet. (
Very hot in July!) ( I suppose my motorcycle gear would have worked too,
but felt safer with the snowmobile attie. I covered my two small
flashlights with red paper I taped onto them and located the nest, It was
only3 feet off the ground hanging below an unused boat lift. I carefully
placed a pail filled with a quart of ammonia directly under the nest using
my Kayak paddle. I then used a 10 foot stick to dislodge the nest into
the household ammonia in the pail below. I walked away from the area and
around the house and entered without them knowing what just hit them. I
trust they will all be quite dead in the morning!

I've used ammonia on huge bumble bees knocking them right out of their
flight with a small handheld sprayer while we removed their nest they made
in the insulation of our pump house. So I though it should work on these
nasty stinging wasps too!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-07-14, Mrs MN wasp warrior wrote:
replying to zootal, Mrs MN wasp warrior wrote:

I have discovered a bald faced hornet nest in my garden.

I've seen these huge wasps. Like flying/stinging Gurnsey cows. But,
not a lot of 'em here in the CO Rockies. We get more of them damn
dangly-legged yellow-jackets.

Had one shed where there was a huge y/j nest. Took 'em out with Raid
Deep-Reach Foggers (3-pak). The one baldy nest was only as big as a
hardball, but took it out with Raid wasp n' hornet spray (black can).
Sucker shoots a 20 ft straight stream that literally melted the baldy
nest. The baldy residents never came back.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.politics.media,uk.legal,uk.misc,uk.rec.driving

On 2015-07-14, Mrs MN wasp warrior
wrote:
replying to zootal, Mrs MN wasp warrior wrote:

I have discovered a bald faced hornet nest in my garden.

I've seen these huge wasps. Like flying/stinging Gurnsey cows. But,
not a lot of 'em here in the CO Rockies. We get more of them damn
dangly-legged yellow-jackets.

Had one shed where there was a huge y/j nest. Took 'em out with Raid
Deep-Reach Foggers (3-pak). The one baldy nest was only as big as a
hardball, but took it out with Raid wasp n' hornet spray (black can).
Sucker shoots a 20 ft straight stream that literally melted the baldy
nest. The baldy residents never came back.

Why don't you two fellers go pick some pansies and leave the fauna alone?