Posted to alt.home.repair

Default interior door replacement -- nonstandard sizes

On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 03:44:01 +0000, CHW3
wrote:

replying to Terry Coombs , CHW3 wrote:
snag_one wrote:

No , you need to cut 3/16" off each side of a standard 24" door . I

prefer

a table saw for this , and don't forget to angle the latch side 5? .
--
Snag

Thanks Snag one, appreciate it, but let me ask this - are builders cutting
these doors down from 24 inches wide, to something less (in my case 23 5/8
inches)? My guess is no they are not. I am really not trying to be
difficult - but its ridiculous that a builder can get a door that size but
no one else can. Are they buying in bulk from a manufacturer and
specifying a non standard size just to be difficult? Guess I'll go back to
my builder and find out where he gets his doors in bulk. I'm sure he
wouldn't have a problem selling one to me. Stupid to have to put a
hundred dollars of effort into a 30 dollar door. If I have to do that, I
may as well just give him the hundred bucks.

Having worked in the window and door business in the past, yes,
builders are cutting down standard doors to make them fit, Custom
doors are MUCH more expensive (and in most cases, it is still just the
standard door cut down - but cut at the factory instead of on-site)
This is particularly true of the "styled" doors - the ones that look
like raised panel doors. They don't make non-standard dies to press
non-standard panel sizes - they just cut down the styles