Posted to alt.home.repair
Mayayana Mayayana is offline

Default interior door replacement -- nonstandard sizes

| 23 5/8 inches is almost exactly 60cm. Is it possible that that is a
| standard metric-sized door?

Not likely. I've never seen such a thing. (Nor do
we have $2.50 nails to replace 6 penny nails. The
system has been in place for a long time and would
take a lot of trouble to convert.)

| I understand that some parts of the USA
| started moving toward the metric system, but then the whole thing
| fizzled out. (My wife was trained to teach metric conversion. Her late
| mother said that if she could get used to the crazy US system when she
| was in her 40s, all Americans could get used to it if they learned it as
| children.)

I've never understood why we *need* to convert,
but it has become a problem with imported cars,
hardware, etc. European hinges in the US often come
with directions only in metric. Two sets of tools or
bits are often needed. There's something absurd about
getting directions in 3 languages but without native
measuring standards.

Awhile back I accidentally bought a dual tape measure.
I had to throw it away. One edge of the tape had metric,
so I could only measure using the other edge. That
doesn't seem like a big deal, but it turned out that it was.

I actually keep a VBScript on my desk to convert
between F and C, so I know what those wacky Brits
are talking about when they claim to be having a
"brutal heat wave". Despite seeing C temps for
years, I still have a hard time getting used to it.
It's not enough to merely know how to convert. One
needs to get used to it.