Posted to alt.home.repair

Default interior door replacement -- nonstandard sizes

On Wednesday, July 8, 2015 at 6:08:06 AM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
CHW3 wrote:
replying to Terry Coombs , CHW3 wrote:
snag_one wrote:

No , you need to cut 3/16" off each side of a standard 24" door .
I prefer

a table saw for this , and don't forget to angle the latch side 5? .
--
Snag

Thanks Snag one, appreciate it, but let me ask this - are builders
cutting these doors down from 24 inches wide, to something less (in
my case 23 5/8 inches)? My guess is no they are not. I am really
not trying to be difficult - but its ridiculous that a builder can
get a door that size but no one else can. Are they buying in bulk
from a manufacturer and specifying a non standard size just to be
difficult? Guess I'll go back to my builder and find out where he
gets his doors in bulk. I'm sure he wouldn't have a problem selling
one to me. Stupid to have to put a hundred dollars of effort into a
30 dollar door. If I have to do that, I may as well just give him the
hundred bucks.

It's not the builder . I'm just guessing , but I'd bet he bought the doors
as pre hung units .
--
Snag

When I was born, the nurses gasped, pointed at me and called me a pre-hung unit. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Swinging Monster