Posted to alt.home.repair
Unquestionably Confused Unquestionably Confused is offline

Default interior door replacement -- nonstandard sizes

On 7/8/2015 6:12 AM, dadiOH wrote:
CHW3 wrote:
replying to Terry Coombs , CHW3 wrote:
snag_one wrote:

No , you need to cut 3/16" off each side of a standard 24" door .
I prefer

a table saw for this , and don't forget to angle the latch side 5? .
--
Snag

Thanks Snag one, appreciate it, but let me ask this - are builders
cutting these doors down from 24 inches wide, to something less (in
my case 23 5/8 inches)? My guess is no they are not.

You are 100% correct. That would be incredibly stupid...unless he had to do
so to make a standard door fit because somebody had screwed up the rough
opening size.

+1

Take a look at any door manufacturer's site, Jeld-Wen, for instance.
All of their doors come in widths sized in an even 1" increment. You
won't find a 23 5/8" or 28 ½" in the lot.

Somebody screwed up the rough opening and accommodations had to be made.

How many doors this size are in your home? That could be a clue as well.