Posted to alt.home.repair
pdid pdid is offline

Default Solving water heater left hand thread thermocouple problem

On Monday, July 6, 2015 at 9:51:25 AM UTC-5, Brent wrote:
On 7/6/2015 7:19 AM, wrote:
Just had the thermocouple go out on my whirlpool water heater, after moving in 5 years ago. I had no idea about the left handed threads, so I was pretty steamed when I got to the last step of screwing it in and it wouldn't thread! Of course, lowes or Home Depot only had universal threaded thermocouples. I was able to use my Drexel to make the cut and put the nut on the new wire, just like you said. Everything works, and we have hot water now instead of having to wait on a part from whirlpool. Thanks for posting this!

Ok smartguy, did you get your little modification inspected and approved by the AHJ?
If not, your insurance company can void your policy and refuse to pay future claims.

And please explain the risk of a failed thermocouple, smart guy? Oh no! The gas might shut off! I think I'm willing to live with that risk and don't see any concern with insurance. I'll not likely need to file a claim because I didn't have hot water for a couple of days.