Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Solving water heater left hand thread thermocouple problem

The thermocouple on my 7yo Whirlpool water heater went out Sat. The stores open
on the weekend had only right hand thread thermocouples, and as far as I could
find out, the manufacturer would sell me a conversion kit for $31 which would
take 10 days to receive. (out of warrantee)

My solution: I carefully clamped the threaded fitting on my old thermocouple
end-to-end in my vice so one face was up, then used a 1" cutting disc in my
dremel tool to cut a slot into the fitting so I could slide it off of the tube.
I slid the threaded fitting on my new thermocouple down out of the way, then
slipped the slotted one over the tube and carefully screwed it into the valve
fitting. It works perfectly.

If you have a several years old Whirlpool or American Products water heater, you
might want to check to see if it has the left hand thread on the thermocouple.
If it does, and it is still in warrantee, contact the manufacturer now so you
can get the conversion kit for free ahead of the time you really need it.

The early symptom of failure on my thermocouple is that it took 1 1/2-2 minutes
of holding down the pilot light to get it to re-light and stay lit. The new one
took about 20 seconds.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 28, 2012 10:56:53 AM UTC-6, Bob F wrote:
[...]

Although your post is from last year, I recently had a problem with my 6-year old GSW water heater with a left-hand thread thermocouple.

I am awaiting a free warranty replacement for the whole assembly minus the burner head but while waiting I substituted a brand new $9 RIGHT-HAND thread thermocouple with a slight modification. Rather than cutting a copper line and splicing things together etc., all I did was slide the threaded piece (part that screws into the control box down a ways from that tip, held the piece with a small pair of vise grips and set it against my bench grinder wheel to wear off the threads, I did this on all sides and was left with a smooth piece, still with the 7/16" hex head though. Next I stuck the end right up into the control unit and while holding it in place, took some strong wire, wrapped a fair amount around the copper line that exits that fitting and then just "tensioned" it up by wrapping the wire up higher near the gas line fitting. The pilot stays lit BUT if you look closely at where the end of that thermocouple screws into the box (the female end left-hand threading), there's a small light blue plastic tab that gets depressed when the lefty is fully screwed in. My jury-rigged thermocouple end has no threads so it can't strip that entry point but it's still doing its job: 1. pushed up as far as it can go. 2. pulled tight with wire and held UPWARD. 3. pressing on what appears to be something of a plastic locking tab that IF not pressed in OR when I did happen to move around the now non-threaded piece and the baby blue-colored tab moved, out went the pilot.

Apologies in that I don't know the terms or names of some parts but I was just so excited that I was able to fix this temporarily until I get my replacement kit. Also, after a few decades of replacing the odd thermocouple in my old furnace, I finally figured out that the reason some of my other ones went was because of a tiny hairline crack at the tip of that pilot. Hard to see at first but I kept a few of the older ones and sanded them a bit to verify that such an issue exists for these cheap parts.
Senior Member

This post is for people in here who have heard about thermocouples having to be replaced on water heaters, boilers and furnaces, but don't know what they are or what they do.

Anyone with any kind of gas fired appliance with a standing pilot should have a spare thermocouple (or thermopile) on hand. For the $10 to $15 a spare thermocouple is going to cost, it's likely to pay for itself because it'll save you having to pay a heating contractor $40 for a service call and another $40 for him to sell you one of HIS thermocouples, the one he bought for $10.

Thermocouples produce a small voltage when they're placed in the pilot light, and it's that voltage that energizes an electromagnet that holds a valve in the gas valve of the appliance open. As long as the thermocouple is producing sufficient voltage, that "safety" valve will remain open and gas will flow through that safety valve to the pilot light. If the thermostat on the appliance calls for it to fire up, a second valve called the "main valve" in series with the safetly valve opens and allows gas to flow to the burner trays of the appliance. So, the gas has to flow through the safety valve first, and then through the main valve to get to the burner trays. If, for whatever reason, the pilot light goes out on an appliance, the thermocouple would cool down and not produce enough voltage to keep the safety valve open, and all gas flow to the appliance would stop. Neither the pilot light nor the burner trays would get any gas until you opened the safety valve on the gas valve manually, typically by depressing a button or turning a knob. That's to prevent your house being filled with gas and creating the conditions that could lead to a house explosion.

Thermocouples gradually go bad because the heat generated by the pilot light results in the metal grains growing larger and the thermocouple producing less and less voltage. Once the voltage is barely sufficient to keep the safety electromagnetic valve open in the gas valve, an aging thermocouple will result in the pilot light going out by itself every so often with the result that you discover that you have no heat or no hot water until you relight the pilot light manually. Cleaning the thermocouple will help, but the fix is to replace it. The first time you find you have to relight the pilot light manually is the time you should be planning to change that thermocouple.

Thermocouples come with different mountings and in different lengths. Some just push in, some have a collar that screws in, and some are different still. The best thing to do is to buy your first thermocouple from the factory authorized service depot so that the person selling it to you can explain how to replace it if it's not obvious. The length of the thermocouple doesn't really matter. In that regard, they're like extension cords. You can't use an extension cord that's too short, but you can always use one that's too long. So, if it's friday night and your wife tells you the water heater's pilot light has been going out by itself lately, and the hardware store only has a 48 inch long thermocouple when you only need a 24 inch long one, buy and install the 48 inch thermocouple (if the mounting is suitable). It'll work fine.

Last edited by nestork : September 27th 13 at 05:58 PM

Posted to alt.home.repair

Great idea! I couldn't find a left hand thread thermocoupler at any of the plumbing supply stores. I tried this and it works like a charm.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you! We were stuck with no one in Vegas area selling a left hand threaded thermocouples..... I cut off the old connector and put it on the new one and worked perfect.... You're idea was a life saver! Thanks again!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Bob,

Thanks for being a lifesaver. I used your advice but the only difference I did was I cut the 'left hand thread piece' on the thermocouple in half. I also used my Dremel as you did. I first only cut half of the 'left hand thread piece' like you did, but I I couldn't get it out of the copper tubing with only half of a cut. So I decided to cut the whole 'left hand thread piece' in half. I then put the two 1/2 pieces of the 'left hand thread' around the new thermocouple and screwed in to the water heater. I did NOT use any glue or adhesive. As long as the new copper tubing from the thermocouple is in the middle, it will keep the size of the 'left hand thread piece' the correct size so you can screw it in the water heater.

Thanks again Bob for your post.

On Sunday, October 28, 2012 9:56:53 AM UTC-7, Bob F wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you SO much for taking time to post this. My 2006 water heater is 8 months out of warranty and the thermocouple failed. I called Whirlpool and they said it would be something like $35 + shipping for a right-hand adapter.. Talk about extortion!

So I bought the $8 universal right-hand thermocouple from Lowe's. Then I went to Harbor Freight for a rotary tool (like a Dremel) and grinding attachment for a whopping $17. Spent over an hour grinding the slot, but it worked flawlessly! I'm sure an actual Dremel would get the job done much faster, but at Lowe's the cheapest one was around $50, and I wanted to stay under the price for the Whirlpool adapter.

The symptoms for me was that the pilot would go out randomly. Sometimes it would remain lit for days, and sometimes it would extinguish within an hour.. But relighting it would take 20 - 30 seconds max before the pilot button could be released. I even tested with a voltmeter and had a reading of 26.5 mv. But apparently the voltage would occasionally drop and the safety switch would release.

Again, thanks for the post. No more cold showers You made my day!
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have an American Water Heater, about 8 years old. Took out the thermocouple a few months back, sanded it, and put it back in and worked fine. At the time, found out about this left-hand thread issue so that was my fix then. Anyway the pilot light went out again recently and tried this fix. I used my rotary tool to cut but realized that only one cut wasn't big enough for the copper tube so I made two more cuts on either side of the original cut. Only then there was enough space for the tube to come out. Sure enough, this worked and I have hot water again! Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just wanted send a thank you for suggestion it worked perfectly. You a life saver and a genius. Whirlpool customer service is a joke and sucks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Just wanted send a thank you for suggestion it worked perfectly. You a life saver and a genius. Whirlpool customer service is a joke and sucks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

The Lowe's Hot Water Heater enhancement kit works fine for replacing the infernal LH threaded thermocouple. The only work of caution is to clear the mounting screw holes in the cover gasket before attempting installation. Then mount the door FIRST while everything is loose. Then warp the other stuff into place. Perfect job solves the problem with the pilot light not being lit after main burner goes out. BTW, my thermocouple measured 19 Millivolts (0.019 on the multimeter).

The early symptom of failure on my thermocouple is that it took 1 1/2-2 minutes

of holding down the pilot light to get it to re-light and stay lit. The new one

took about 20 seconds.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I realize this is an old thread, however someone new may find it like I did..

I had the same problem with left handed threads on my thermocouple. Much research later I learned that they did it for a reason. The left handed thread thermocouple also incorporates a "thermal fuse," which is the overheat protection. It is left handed specifically so you can't put a universal thermocouple on it. If you do so, such as by switching the fitting to the new thermocouple (Which is ingenious, by the way. Very clever.) your water heater may work fine, but you no longer have overheat protection.

Lowes carries the retrofit kit (Water Heater Enhancement Kit) which replaces everything downstream from the control valve, except the burner itself. It adds an adapter for the left handed threads, so that a standard thermocouple will fit, and it also adds a separate thermal switch to provide overheat protection. Also, you can contact the manufacturer. (http://www.americanwaterheater.com/contact.aspx)

I had to contact the manufacturer, because I have the 30 gallon, for which Lowes does not carry the Kit.

Hope this helps, and Good Luck!

Posted to alt.home.repair

This was the best advice I have ever gotten. This was an absolute life saver thank you
Posted to alt.home.repair

Got home from a family trip only to find no hot water...... Went to Canadian Tire bought a new Thermo Coupler got everything ready found out it was left thread (reverse) what to do googled this took a bit to figure out what and how he was doing this then when I got it BAM!!! took out the drummel and wow this works great. So I got my wife to Video tape it for Youtube so others could see how easy this works. here is the link : http://youtu.be/5Cs_MUGJ-b4
Posted to alt.home.repair

I did this exactly like you said. Works perfectly!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 19:07:59 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I did this exactly like you said. Works perfectly!

....well ain't that special
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/27/2014 10:07 PM, wrote:
I did this exactly like you said. Works perfectly!

Did you include the step with the chicken
feather?

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Sep 2014 14:08:48 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 9/27/2014 10:07 PM, wrote:
I did this exactly like you said. Works perfectly!

Did you include the step with the chicken
feather?

What about the "turkey caper". Voodoo (Santeria) followers once
tossed a dead turkey on the steps of our jail for some reason. Maybe
to cast a spell?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm glad I stumbled across this thread. I had no idea there are left-handed thread thermocouples. I'll double check my water heater and boiler in case I need to change mine if they should fail.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/28/2014 6:54 PM, Mikepier wrote:
I'm glad I stumbled across this thread. I

had no idea there are left-handed thread
thermocouples. I'll double check my water
heater and boiler in case I need to change
mine if they should fail.

Left is right, right is wrong, two's for
girls. (earring code for men.)

Best to check NOW before you get caught in
the cold.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

I may not have read all messages.

What about the "turkey caper". Voodoo (Santeria) followers once
tossed a dead turkey on the steps of our jail for some reason. Maybe
to cast a spell?

They knew you?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/30/2014 7:57 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

I may not have read all messages.

Many of your posts have this text.
Doesn't encourage us, you keep
reminding us that you give advice
without knowing what the situation.

Doctor: Take this, and have it filled.
Take two of these pills, three times
a day until you've used them all up.
Man: But we're standing in line at the
grocery, and you've not asked me any
medical questions.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I did this exactly like you said. Works perfectly!

I'm glad it worked for you. Sorry about the riff-raff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

This is the best solution I could find for the left hand thread problem (as posted earlier in this thread):

American Water Heater Company Gas Enhancement Kit 4040T NG
http://www.lowes.com/pd_242967-135-6...ductId=3434834

I had to drive an hour to a Lowe's that had the part, but it is worth it to have hot water again. It works perfectly, other than I can't fit my old external cover on now. It includes the adapter to change it from a left hand thread to a right hand and was pretty inexpensive. Apparently American Water Heater Company has some sort of safety detection device built into the left hand thread and this enhancement kit maintains that functionality while changing it to a right had thread.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had the same problem and used the Lowe's kit which was fine except it didn't include the brass burner orifice which you were supposed to transfer from the old manifold. Mine was basically welded on and unremovable after years of use. I searched all around for a replacement online and at local heating and plumbing supply stores. To get a new burner orifice (which is essentially just a brass bolt with a hole down the middle) I had to call whirlpool directly and luckily they made it available. It's NOT on their website that I could find. They overnighted to me for 30 bucks which is an insane price to pay for a little piece of brass but at least I have hot water now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you for the good idea. I also cut a slot and slid the old tube out and new one in and it is working great. Because they pulled this crap I can honestly say when it's time for a new one I will not buy there brand.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Just got done cutting the regular threaded nut lengthwise and it slid right off. Reassembled and everything works well! Thanks for the help. The plumbing store was recommending a new water heater because "no one carries those reverse threaded thermocouples anymore." Yea right!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 28, 2012 at 12:56:53 PM UTC-4, Bob F wrote:
[...]

Thank You! Thank You!! Thank You!!!
You saved our Independence Day week!
Did exactly what you said and it worked perfectly!

I wish I knew how to post a pic...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Alphahozer wrote:
[...]

You are welcome!

This has surely been my longest actively appreciated post.

Most of us can't get posts with pictures anyway. Put it on tinypic, or some
other picture posting site, then post a url to the pic here if you really want
to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just had the thermocouple go out on my whirlpool water heater, after moving in 5 years ago. I had no idea about the left handed threads, so I was pretty steamed when I got to the last step of screwing it in and it wouldn't thread! Of course, lowes or Home Depot only had universal threaded thermocouples. I was able to use my Drexel to make the cut and put the nut on the new wire, just like you said. Everything works, and we have hot water now instead of having to wait on a part from whirlpool. Thanks for posting this!
Posted to alt.home.repair

I would have kindly told that plumbing store to F off and that they lost a customer and several others (your friends).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 14, 2015 at 8:52:12 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, July 6, 2015 at 11:38:09 AM UTC-4, pdid wrote:
On Monday, July 6, 2015 at 9:51:25 AM UTC-5, Brent wrote:
On 7/6/2015 7:19 AM, wrote:
Just had the thermocouple go out on my whirlpool water heater, after moving in 5 years ago. I had no idea about the left handed threads, so I was pretty steamed when I got to the last step of screwing it in and it wouldn't thread! Of course, lowes or Home Depot only had universal threaded thermocouples. I was able to use my Drexel to make the cut and put the nut on the new wire, just like you said. Everything works, and we have hot water now instead of having to wait on a part from whirlpool. Thanks for posting this!

Ok smartguy, did you get your little modification inspected and approved by the AHJ?
If not, your insurance company can void your policy and refuse to pay future claims.

And please explain the risk of a failed thermocouple, smart guy? Oh no! The gas might shut off! I think I'm willing to live with that risk and don't see any concern with insurance. I'll not likely need to file a claim because I didn't have hot water for a couple of days.

I'm just curious as to how many of these dumb @#$%@ are still alive after defeating a safety device. These thermocouples have a thermal protective device built into them!!!!

Let me recant that, How many of these dumb @#$%@ are still operating under this temporary fix?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

At first glance, the hack seems safe enough.

But after 37 years in product engineering, I can tell you that seemingly safe engineering changes often turn sour.
If it were my water heater in my house, I'd install the correct part.