Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkie® Tekkie® is offline

Default Best way to dig a 40' long trench to bury wires

Texas Kingsnake posted for all of us...

"trader_4" wrote in message
On Sunday, June 28, 2015 at 11:08:20 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, June 28, 2015 at 10:45:54 AM UTC-4, Texas Kingsnake wrote:
Any ideas? How deep do 110 volt wires need to be buried?

24" in open areas, it can be less if it goes under concrete, etc.

Let me correct that. I just looked at the code to make sure
and above is true for direct burial cable. If you use pvc
conduit, it's 18". And there is an exception for branch circuits
of 20A or less that are GFCI protected, in which case it's 12"
regardless if it's direct burial or conduit.

Thanks for the update. Depth will make a serious difference in how hard it
will be to dig the trench. I am thinking I will get the guy who butchered
my bricks to dig the ditch for free instead of my suing him. How hard could
THAT be not to eff up?

FWIW, I am using underground rated UF-14/2 cable that will be connected to a
GFCI to run some new outdoor lights. A juvenile delinquent has moved in
next door and I want to put up some motion detector lights and maybe some
sort of camera to catch him at work (I looked out the window one day to see
him tossing trash in my yard).

I was considering doing the work myself but I have no experience with
outside wiring or how to waterproof it so I may just dig the ditches and let
a licensed electrician do the hook-ups.

TKS

You can't put the electric and CCTV wires in the same conduit.

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*