Posted to alt.home.repair
Muggles Muggles is offline

Default Best way to dig a 40' long trench to bury wires

On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 00:22:07 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:
How do you get the wire in the long conduit without
it getting stuck somewhere in the middle?

The easiest way I've developed is to tie a piece if soft
open cell foam to a poly pull string and blast it
through the conduit with compressed air or CO2.
A shop vac can be used to pull the foam and string
through the conduit. CO2 is good to use in the field
when there is no power or source of compressed air.
When I worked on a construction project running
high voltage cables in 4" conduit, me and the crew
tied a rag to a pull rope and used the air compressor,
made to run jackhammers, to blow the rag and rope
through the conduit. My brother was on the other
end and said the rag and pull rope shot 10 feet into
the air as it exited the conduit elbow.

Wow... That had to be cool to watch!

There is also steel or fiberglass fish tapes that are
threaded through a conduit and the wires can
tied to it and pulled through. Whenever I pulled wire
through a conduit, I always left a pull string in the
conduit with the wire. This makes for easy additions
of wire or cable. ^_^

So, you put 2 pull strings through the conduit, use one to pull the
wire you need initially, and save the 2nd pull string for later in
case you need it?

I guess it's not common for those pull strings to get stuck when
being blown through?

--
Maggie