Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best way to dig a 40' long trench to bury wires

On Monday, June 29, 2015 at 10:47:41 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 20:33:06 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:
nd parked on top of it. The conduit has never leaked.
Oh yea, it was a 35 foot run. ^_^

How do you get the wire in the long conduit without it getting stuck
somewhere in the middle?

--
Maggie

The easiest way I've developed is to tie a piece if soft open cell foam to a poly pull string and blast it through the conduit with compressed air or CO2.
A shop vac can be used to pull the foam and string through the conduit. CO2 is good to use in the field when there is no power or source of compressed air. When I worked on a construction project running high voltage cables in 4" conduit, me and the crew tied a rag to a pull rope and used the air compressor, made to run jackhammers, to blow the rag and rope through the conduit. My brother was on the other end and said the rag and pull rope shot 10 feet into the air as it exited the conduit elbow. There is also steel or fiberglass fish tapes that are threaded through a conduit and the wires can tied to it and pulled through. Whenever I pulled wire through a conduit, I always left a pull string in the conduit with the wire. This makes for easy additions of wire or cable. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Wire Monster