Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Best way to dig a 40' long trench to bury wires

On Sunday, June 28, 2015 at 2:55:48 PM UTC-4, Texas Kingsnake wrote:
"trader_4" wrote in message
On Sunday, June 28, 2015 at 10:45:54 AM UTC-4, Texas Kingsnake wrote:
Any ideas? How deep do 110 volt wires need to be buried?

24" in open areas, it can be less if it goes under concrete, etc.

Best way to do it might be a day laborer. You could rent
a small walk behind ditch witch type gizom, depending on what's
available in your area. HD might rent them. How practical that
is depends on the cost and what you have to move it.

Thanks for the info. I have been looking at something called a "ditch
witch" for rental but it's expensive and like you said it is not easily
transportable. I am also worried what happens if I hit a rock using a
rented tool like that. How much could I be stuck for in a repair bill if I
wreck the cutter? Can you buy insurance from the rental places just in
case? I've never rented a tool in my life so I really don't know what's
involved.

TKS

I've rented many tools and have never been offered an insurance plan.
If you break it, you have to pay to fix it. And your concern is valid.
I would think they are pretty tough and a typical rock isn't going to
bust it, but depending on how many you have, who knows.... And if you
bust it, you're at a disadvantage. The rental company is goind to fix
it and come up with the repair price. If it's unreasonable, you can
dispute it, take them to small claims, etc, but it could become a hassle.
I've never had that experience. Only once when renting a slice seeder
from HD, the guy accused me of not cleaning it off and wanted to charge
me $25 extra. I had washed it off, I just somehow missed one clump of
dirt on the bottom. I had to get a manager over and then they relented.