Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Best way to dig a 40' long trench to bury wires

FWIW, I am using underground rated UF-14/2 cable that will be
connected to a GFCI to run some new outdoor lights. A juvenile
delinquent has moved in next door and I want to put up some motion
detector lights and maybe some sort of camera to catch him at work (I
looked out the window one day to see him tossing trash in my yard).

You might want to look into low voltage lighting. You could run the wire
right on top of the ground and cover it with mulch or something if you
really don't want to dig down. Of course, burying it a few inches would
still be a smart idea.

Alternatively, you could just install battery powered LED lights and not
worry about cables at all. You would need to swap batteries occasionally,
but if you used rechargeables it wouldn't be expensive.

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com