Posted to alt.home.repair
notbob notbob is offline

Default Best way to dig a 40' long trench to bury wires

On 2015-06-28, Texas Kingsnake wrote:
Any ideas? How deep do 110 volt wires need to be buried?

Depends on where you live.

I live in the CO Rockies and we are in the middle of digging up our
entire 300 unit snowbird park for a new sewage system. The biggest
problem is the rocks. This entire valley is an ancient river bed and
one WILL stumble on smooth round river rocks tha size of a Ford
Exhibition, six ft or six inches under the surface. We have explosive
ordnance experts to deal with the really big boulders.

Bring the biggest backhoe you can afford. We have dozens working,
here. Everything from huge Cat's to itty-bitty Bobcat's. It's like a
used backhoe lot. Volvo's, Kamatsu's, Deere's, etc. If a bigger
backhoe is needed, it's get's trucked in. No one is going out with a
pick n' shovel and digging any 10 ft deep trenches anytime, soon. I
know.

My first job, after the service, was as a ditch digger. Swimming pool
plumbing ditches. Four foot deep in hardpan. At least a pick will
break up hardpan. But, the best pick in the world isn't gonna do spit
to a 20 ft diameter granite boulder. 8|

nb