Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Using Extension Cord with Freezer

On Saturday, September 20, 2008 at 11:12:49 PM UTC-5, ransley wrote:
On Sep 20, 10:55*pm, wrote:
Hello,

* * * * I just purchased a 7 CFT Magic Chef Freezer from the Home
Depot. The place that I want to place it is about 6 feet from the
nearest electrical outlet. Reading the manual it states not to use
extension cords of any kind. Is the reason they put this on for fear
the consumer will try to use a standard electric cord and cause a fire
or is it something else? I plan on getting a 15A with a 14 gauge or 12
gauge wire. The line that it is attached to goes to a 15 amp circuit
and seeing that it hasn't tripped he line while it is running I should
be ok. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

7 cu ft, what does it pull 100 watts? Likely only 100- 150, Gee maybe
20 ga would work.

It's not the running current draw that's of concern, it's LRA or locked rotor amps which is the current the compressor will pull when the system pressure is not equalized and the compressor can't start. If the power blinks or you flipped a breaker on and off for the freezer circuit, you'll hear a hum and a click coming from the freezer which is the high temperature and overload switch inside the compressor snapping off. Many overload switches are inside the terminal cover of small compressors and can be replaced if the contacts erode away. The overload may click several times before the compressor will restart. The LRA for a typical large chest freezer can be 12 amps or more. The electrical specifications for voltage, RLA (run load amps) and LRA (locked rotor amps) are on a sticker that has the model number printed on it which is located inside or outside of the freezer. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Frozen Monster