Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Using Extension Cord with Freezer

Dennis Osgood wrote:
replying to hr(bob) , Dennis Osgood wrote: outlet. The food was frozen in just a few hours.

I have read many articles both pro and con about voltage drops in
extension cords. Apparently not everyone agrees with the established
theories of electrical engineering. The electrician never did tell me why
the extension cord was the problem. All I know is that removing the
extension cord caused both the a/c and the freezer to work well.

Ohm's law is very simple to understand. If you used extension cord of
proper size(capacity to carry the current without too much voltage drop)
There shouldn't be a problem. a/c or freezer has motor which draws peak
current when it starts due to it's characteristics of inductive load)
Undersized cord is even fire hazard.