Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Using Extension Cord with Freezer

On 6/23/2015 9:44 AM, Dennis Osgood wrote:

I have read many articles both pro and con about voltage drops in
extension cords. Apparently not everyone agrees with the established
theories of electrical engineering. The electrician never did tell me why
the extension cord was the problem. All I know is that removing the
extension cord caused both the a/c and the freezer to work well.

The size of the wire is more important than the length. If you used a
3' cord with 18 gauge wire it would be more of a problem than 100 foot
cord with #10 wire. Think of the wire as a pipe. You can only get so
much juice through it so bigger is better.