Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A Perfect Case For NOT Using Linux.

On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 11:04:03 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 06/21/2015 07:40 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
What do you think about Chrome OS. I'm using a Chromebook right now because I'm away from home where all my Windows, Linux, Android and BSD computers are. sniff I miss them. o_O

IBM lives! Chrome OS has backed down a little but it started life as a
very thin client. aka a dumb ADM3 terminal connected to a mainframe.
IBM was not pleased when users could cut the umbilical cord and actually
having stuff running on their very own machines. So, these days, you
have all your software and data in the 'cloud' which is a mainframe on
steroids spread out who the hell knows where.

Actually, I think Chromie, my cute little 11.6 inch Chromebook is a cool dude. He weighs 3.0lb/1.6kg and is easy for me to handle in my weakened state here in my hospital bed at the nursing and rehab center. I have 15 and 17 inch laptops that I wish I could have here but I can't handle those beasts because both my shoulders are fuxored up. I call it my hospital trip computer. I have a laptop bag that fits it and there is enough room in the other compartments for my wallet, cell phone and charger, small paper notebook, medications, computer accessories, miscellaneous small items and some medical records. When I have to leave home for the hospital, I have everything in the bag which is easy to keep track of. The hospital and nursing homes have WiFi so there is no problem connecting to The Interweb. The Chromebook keeps me from going friggin bonkers because I can't see the TV all that well and I watch the news, TV shows and movies on Chromie, my constant and loyal companion who has never let me down. I'd recommend the setup to anyone who must make frequent trips to the hospital. I do want to add a second 2gb memory module because I tend to open too many tabs. What I have is an Acer C710-2833, 16gb SSD and 2gb memory. I am so glad I have the little critter. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Chrome Monster