Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair
rbowman[_2_] rbowman[_2_] is offline

Default A Perfect Case For NOT Using Linux.

On 06/21/2015 07:06 PM, Snit wrote:
Fair enough. I know developers who prefer Windows and those who prefer *nix
environments. I am not a developer and have no preference... and it likely
depends a lot on the type of development, etc.

A lot of our codebase is legacy C that uses Motif for the UI so it fits
well with Linux. For new standalone applications I switch to Visual
Studio and C# as well as maintaining some of the older C++ products. For
client side JavaScript I use gVim on whatever platform is handy. Server
side node.js is the same.

We use AndroidStudio for out tablet/phone products although I try to
stay away from that project on the theory too many cooks spoil the
broth. Others use Eclipse, but both of those are cross platform.

At the end of the day it's whatever works. I've been doing this since
the Hollerith card days on OS360 mainframes that were dumber than most
cellphones. People who climb into little niches tend to drop out. Or do
very well as companies scramble to hire the last living Visual Rexx
programmer.