Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair
rbowman[_2_] rbowman[_2_] is offline

Default A Perfect Case For NOT Using Linux.

On 06/21/2015 06:43 PM, Snit wrote:
Curious what it is about KDE that you liked. I have used it some, and show
examples in my videos below, and thought it was an utter disaster.

NOT trying to talk you out of it... not at all - just curious what you like
about it.

It's just a desktop. I don't ask much of it and stay away from all the
eye candy crap. I'd also used mwm, fvwm, and iceWM, although they are
window managers rather than desktops although I've always found the
distinction blurry. About 15 years ago I used RedHat with the
Gnome/Sawfish setup if you want to talk about disasters.

The truth is you use what you are used to, and I switched to SuSE after
RedHat and SuSE defaults to KDE. Technically, I'd rather work with Qt
than Gtk+ although truth be told most of my GUI work is with Motif for
legacy reasons.

I like KMail and KNode although lately I've been using Thunderbird for
its cross platform capability.

If you look at my work machine on most days there will be 8 desktops
with KMail and Firefox on two of them. The balance are Konsoles and gVim
windows. Actually, my windows boxes are very similar although they don't
have eight desktops. I understand Windows 10 finally is going to do that
right. In addition, the Windows box might have Visual Studio and SQL
Server Management Studio open if I'm messing with databases. Rarely will
ArcDesktop be up for ESRI manipulation.

Okular, Foxit, LibreOffice or something else might be open if someone
insists on sending me documentation in pdf, doc, docx, xls, tiff, or
some other funky format. I do not create documents in any of those
formats; if it ain't a gVim plain text file it don't happen.

For the most part a working programmer is not representative of the
general computer user although we sometimes watch stupid cat videos.