Posted to alt.home.repair
Boris[_2_] Boris[_2_] is offline

Default Cleaned A/C Condenser, No Joy

Uncle Monster wrote in
:

On Friday, June 19, 2015 at 7:24:19 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, June 18, 2015 at 9:22:12 PM UTC-4, Boris wrote:
trader_4 wrote in
:

On Thursday, June 18, 2015 at 3:30:08 PM UTC-4, Boris wrote:
J Burns wrote in
:

big snip

I told you a week ago to take a 6 pack out with a chair, sit by
the unit, and see if the fan quits first, then the compressor
over heats and quits. That would indicate a fan problem, which
from everything else you've said so far, appears to be what you
had. First fan probably was bad and they replaced it with a
faster one that also quits because it's the wrong one.

That's what I did. It only took one beer, but both stopped at the
same time. When reported to tech, he said compressor and fan are
wired together so if fan stops, compressor stops. Not sure I
believe that, because the compressor has a thermal sensor
protector.

Sorry, I forgot that you reported that. It's possible they are
wired together somehow, but I agree with you that I wouldn't believe
it without seeing it myself. You should have a schematic. I know
on mine that if the fan motor quits, the compressor keeps running.

Yes, replacement fan was the wrong fan. If this doesn't fix
things, I'

going to get a new a/c unit. I've pretty much had it with this
thing.

Had to drive up there four times already and listen to techs tell
me differing stories. I only hope that if/when I get a new unit,
they can install it correctly.

I don't buy the kickstart thing theory. If the new fan cures the
problem, I'm going to install the original capacitor. Using a lot
of juice to start the compressor, seems to me, could shorten its
life.

I wouldn't worry about the hard start kit. They are put on AC units
all the time and I've never heard of them shortening the life. I
had one put on mine when it was 10 years old, because it was blowing
fuses. It went another 10 years and was still running fine with no
problems. I think the opposite is true. It's better to have the
hard start kit and get it going, than have it struggle.

If a compressor is always being called on to restart before the system
pressure equalizes, a hard start kit will help. I always put a time
delay module in the control circuit for an AC unit with a mechanical
thermostat or programmed the electronic thermostat for a time delay of
at least 3 minutes so AC system pressure could equalize. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle AC Monster

The thermostat provides a 5 minute delay whenever you turn it on to a/c.
The panel blinks "Cooling wait".

One thing I did notice last time I was up there, was that the many times,
when the thermostat is recording the house temp. the same as the set
temp., the a/c goes off, but will sometimes still come back on. That is,
if set to 72 and it reaches 72, it will go off, but come back on in a
while, even though the temp has not risen.