Posted to alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher[_2_] Ashton Crusher[_2_] is offline

Default OT Car repair, car cuts out.

I drove one car at least 2 miles with no oil in it and it caused no
problems. Shop forgot to put oil in for an oil change. Lifters
started clattering a mile out so I called them and they said just to
drive it back. This happened when the car had perhaps 50K miles on it
and it was still running fine, not burning a drop of oil, when it was
sold at 110K. Perhaps some cars would be more sensitive to lack of
oil....

On Tue, 16 Jun 2015 23:01:28 -0400, micky
wrote:

This is what I thought when I saw the tv show.

I'm sure beting without oil pressure will ruin the engine, maybe in less
than 20 seconds, and damage it in less than 10 or 15. But....

They said the make and model, but I only heard the model name and it was
one I had not heard of, and I've forgotten it.

On Tue, 16 Jun 2015 18:10:32 -0400, micky
wrote:

Please comment when anything seems worth commenting on.

A plaintiff on a tv court show complains that her car keeps cutting out,
turning off without being told to, and she takes it to a garage.

He puts it on the electronic whatever, and there is a code for the oil

Did the engine cut out when it was on the analyser? Probably not.
Sure a lot of things set codes, but not everything. All of the original
codes and all of the codes required by law relate to air pollution
aiui.and few relate to why the engine doesn't run .

pressure or the oil pressure switch. He looks and notes that wires
going by the oil pan are saturated in oil, so he replaces them and gives
her back the car.

I can't quite imagine wires saturated enough to short out, and even if
they're covered in oil, I think they should be wiped off.

Was there a harness? I would expect that there was. Then replace the
harness and it's probably pretty clean inside.

If there was no harness, no split tube, one should be put on to keep the
recently wiped wires clean.

He also replaces the oil pressure sending switch,
either during the first visit or after she brings the car back.

Okay. That's fine.

She brings the car back within a day. and the respondent says, "The oil
pan gasket was leakiing and obviously it was necessary to replace the
gasket".

If one is fixing all the bad things on the car, the gasket needs
replacing, but it's NOT the cause of the engine cutting out.
Especially not if the wires have beem cleaned or replaced.

I dont' think Judge Milyan though of all this but more important to her
was that there was no proof it broke right after the last time the guy
fixed it. The plaintiff said it got towed the next day but had no bill
or anything. So the plaintiff got nothing.

He doe that and returns the car, but it cuts out even before
she gets home.

The rest of the story is complicated and a distraction but what do you
think of the mechanic so far?