Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Window A/C unit - drill holes in water pan ?

On Sunday, June 7, 2015 at 7:58:57 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sun, 07 Jun 2015 13:23:03 -0400, micky
wrote:

That's right. There probably is a hole in the water pan already at the
outside end of the AC. And there is probably a provision for attaching
a small hose, to route the drip where the owner wants it. If no hole,
one could drill one there, but only if it's tipped like you say.

Some of the high efficiency units hold water in the pan and splash it
up on the condenser coil to aid cooling. You just need to be sure it
is tilted down so the water gets to the outboard end.

I've used a shopvac to get the water out of them. There are a couple of little one gallon shop-vacs around the house that work very well for cleaning window units. Small vinyl tubing can be duct taped to the larger hose on the shop-vac when I need to get inside something to suck out the water. I also have my air compressor for blowing trash and water out of things. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle AC Monster