Rick Dipper

Default Cost of Renovating a 2-Bed Terraced House??

Your mortguage company will arrange a survey, you just pay.

Rick

On 30 Nov 2003 05:38:59 -0800, (Melanie19) wrote:
If there is nothing structurally wrong and you can do some of the work
then you might get close to your £15k figure, but there is a lot of
guesswork in this. If there is substantial structural work, then
probably not.

You really need to get a survey and several estimates to know for
sure, and then do the sums.

The other thing to consider is the reason for buying the place. If
you are looking for a shortish term financial gain, then you need to
do the arithmetic carefully.
However, if the issue is to get onto the property ladder and funds are
limited, so this represents a low entry point then that can be OK as
well as long as you are careful. For example, some of the things
that you list could be done over a period of time as funds become
available. To some extent you could even spend more money over time
in total than you would spend today on a fully fixed up place. In
effect, you would be spreading the purchase cost and taking a level of
risk on property values increasing over time. That is true in the
long term, but we are probably near the top of the market now, so it
would be unwise to go too far on this track.....

Thanks for all above info! I would be buying to simply get on the
property ladder. The house is in an area I like, so I could see
myself living there for many years. The thing that caught my
attention about this house was the fact that it was a house I can
actually afford! It's not often I see one of those!

It's also really convenient to everything, so, as long as it's Ok
structurally it's really my only realistic chance of buying a place in
an area I like.

If I get a surveyor in, is there anything I should ask the surveyor in
order to choose one? Should I ensure they are a member of some
surveying organisation?

Do I simply look under the heading "surveyors" in Yellow Pages to find
one, or do builders or estate agents do structural surveys?

Thanks!