Posted to alt.home.repair

Default alt.home.repair newsgroup statistics for 05/2015

On Tuesday, June 2, 2015 at 5:52:54 PM UTC-5, bob_villa wrote:
On Tuesday, June 2, 2015 at 8:28:56 AM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:

I worked in a nursing home for 14 yrs...don't forget to interact with the residents. Have meals in the dining area and not in your room. You can do a world of good being positive to those people...and you may be looking at yourself in a few yrs? You have many options...

I would prefer to eat in the dining room but I'd have to get someone to push me to the other side of the complex in another wing. When I want to leave the dining room, there's not always a CNA available to push me back. It's very hard on me to roll myself around in my wheelchair because of my messed up shoulders and the slightly sloping hallway past the nurses station is like Mt.Everest to me. The physical terrorism department is at the end of the hall from my room and I volunteer to be tortured there depending on my level of pain. If I get my knee brace back, I can get up in my walker and get around that way. I am a lot stronger than I was when I got here at the end of February. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Hopeful Monster

I've seen many well intentioned temporary residents that will not mix with the permanent residents...even one who said she would come back as a volunteer. It never happened. As for aides being available...they are usually happy to assist, and knowing you...I'm sure you have your favorites. It is hard to look at them and see yourself in a few years...but it is very fulfilling.

My roommate is a Black fella who turned 66 last month and he's funny as hell. When my SSI check hit the bank, I had my friend Stinky go by the dollar store and pick up some items for me which included 2 packs of Kool Filter Kings, a Bic lighter and a bag of Hershey's Kisses for my roommate as a birthday gift. He likes nuts but has no teeth so the chocolate drops are the only chocolate he can eat. I told him I couldn't smuggle in a bottle of booze for him because of the trouble it would get us into. He was so happy to get the items because he said it was like being in jail since he couldn't get what he wanted when he wanted it. I don't smoke but there's a smoking area out back for those who do and my roommate will head out there a few times a day. The poor guy lost his toes to Diabetes and goes to the VA hospital 3 times a week for dialysis so I thought I get him something to bring him a bit of happiness. The transport driver can't stop to get him any smokes or a bottle because the VA vans are equipped with cameras and he has trouble getting his cousin to bring him any cigarettes. He still hasn't gotten his bottle. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Santa Monster