Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] campbell.design@gmail.com is offline

Default Copper pipe epoxy relining opinions - does anyone have actual experience?

On Wednesday, August 12, 2009 at 5:42:33 PM UTC-4, trekee wrote:
trekee had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ua-330521-.htm
:
Well, I know this thread is quite old, but I read it before I made a
decision on epoxy lining, and figured other people might run across it as
well. I am grateful for all of the opinions expressed, but was
disappointed that the original poster never did get an actual response
from someone who had experienced epoxy lining first hand.

In my case, I didn't want to tear up my home, and being a scientist and an
engineer, I was intrigued by the concept of pipe lining. I then got
online, and started 2 months of research. After all, I didn�t have an
extra 10k lying around to make a wrong decision. I found a lot of
technical information at the NSF. UL, and IAPMO websites, but no
testimonials.

It wasn�t until I found out that a co-worker had had it done that I was
able to get an opinion. She had done her research as well, and had used
Curaflo, (She called them Brinks). She had her home epoxy lined 4 years
ago. She said that she didn�t have any problems. I still had all three
companies in San Diego come out to my home and talk to me, Ace Duraflo,
Curaflo, and NuFlow. The NuFlow salesman Andrew came out, and was every
bit the high pressure salesman! I told him that I wanted to talk to my
wife before making a decision, and he actually told I should sign now to
lock in the �Good Deal� and that I could cancel later if I wanted. What a
Joke!

In the end I went with Curaflo, Ace Duraflo didn�t seem to have a lot of
experience (I guess they are a brand new franchise) and Josh the Curaflo
sales rep spoke my language, he really knew the technical side of the
process and actually suggested I sleep on it before making a decision!
This went a long way with me.

I am sorry to say that I was all over the technicians while they were
doing the job, and they were always polite and answered all of my
questions. They also showed me around their trucks and explained how they
controlled the air flow and performed the process. I watched them perform
a very extensive before and after flow test, and they even cut out two
sections of pipe they had coated for me to inspect. The finished product
looked almost exactly like Josh�s sales samples, although there was a very
slightly thicker coating on the bottom of the pipe (1/16th of an inch) but
the 90* in the wall they cut out was perfect. I understand the dynamics
of how it worked, but I was still amazed with the end result. It actually
looked like a pipe inside a pipe. All in all, I am very happy, and the
water flow is the same as it was before in most of the house and MUCH
faster at the roman tub and hose connections, it was not reduced anywhere..

So I figure I would post here to answer the original question. I have had
the epoxy lining done, and I am very happy with the outcome! We will just
have to see if it lasts as long as the lifetime warranty.

-Mike

Hi! I've been looking into all 3 companies as well. How has the Curaflo lining worked for you over the last 6 years?