Steve Reinis

Default tv repairable or not

I dunno... My grandmother had an oldish (1988) Philco 27" console set that
had collapsed and she kept using the set for many months just to listen to
the audio! She would let it sit and run with this bright as can be white
line across the screen and didn't mind it at all.

I finally happened to be over at her house one day while the set was running
and I noticed what was going on. By the time I saw the set, the line was no
where near as bright as they are when they first collapse. It had *plenty*
of burn! Of all things, this was such a simple problem, too... This set
had a small switch for Service Mode that collapsed the verticle sweep and it
had shorted! Cleaning the switch returned proper operation of the set
except for a black horizontal line across the middle of the CRT...

-Steve

Sam Goldwasser wrote in message
"James Sweet" writes:

It's a very easy repair job, however if you run it for long with the

bright
white line you'll burn a line into the tube and it's a writeoff.

Well, I assume it's pretty boring watching a white line so maybe common
sense will prevail.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work.

contact me, please use the Feedback Form at repairfaq.org. Thanks.