fred

Default Keston Questions (noise and flue options)

In article , Andrew andrew@
sPydata.uklinux.net writes
Paid a visit to the homebuilding and renovating show at Bath and West
show ground yesterday (sat - also on today 30/11/03).

Bloke on the Eco-hometec stand said if you can't afford one of ours then
given choice of Valliant thermocompact or Keston Celsius get the Keston.

They seem like be a nice bunch, I spoke to them a bit before deciding that
I couldn't justify the extra cost of their (excellent) boiler. I chose the
Keston.

In the Keston documentation there is a sentence (underlined) that says
consider the possibility of the noise if installing near to a living
area. Can anyone with a Keston comment on this ?.

I have it in the corner of my kitchen and do not consider it to be
excessively noisy, but this is a long way away from the main kitchen
action. It does have a powerful flue fan which is noticeable and could be
obtrusive in a quieter area. I will be boxing mine in the long term.

Flue options - the best place (for boiler) is under the stairs (only 6
feet from the 3/4 inch iron gas pipe supplying the kitchen) and the flue
can follow the underside of the stairs then go horizontally towards rear
of kitchen and follow the 110 waste water stack up the loft, then either
up to the ridge or out and down through the soffits.

Why can't I connect it to the waste stack ?. - i.e. well above the 'high
tide mark' ?

They want the intake and exhaust flues to be balanced, that means
running two 50mm uPVC pipes to your chosen exit point. Roof line sounds
good, but be aware that you are not allowed dips in the route - soffit might
be ok. Inlet & exhaust need to be separated by 200mm. Check out the pdf
downloads at:
http://www.keston.co.uk/products/celsius25.htm
--
fred