Default monitor flickers and dies in cold

On 17 Aug 2003 09:49:12 -0700, (Rob) wrote:

Just recently my 4-year-old 17" Relisys TE786 monitor has started
acting up. The picture would randomly just flicker off and on to a
black screen. It took me a while, but I think I've discovered that it
does this when the air conditioning is on. As the room and monitor get
colder, it flickers on and off more, finally it gets to a point where
it the pictures flicks off and doesn't come back on, even though the
monitor is still getting power. Eventually, the picture goes black,
then it clicks a few times and I get a white screen with vertical bars
which usually means the monitor isn't getting input. I wanted to
change the VGA cable, but it's soldered inside the monitor; it doesnt'
just simply unplug.

So I assume I either have a faulty cable, or a cold-sensitive part
inside my monitor. Is this going to be something expensive to repair?
People in another group told me it'd be cheaper to get a new monitor,
but I can't really afford two or three hundred dollars for a new
monitor at this point.

Thanks for any advice,
Rob

A repair shop will charge almost as much as a new monitor. If you are
semi-competent and understand the safety issues of working inside a
monitor, it's likely an easy fix.

Does the picture go in/out if you wiggle the cable - probably a bad
connection and you just need to cut and resolder the cable.
Otherwise, there is possibly a bad solder joint on one of the boards.

-Chris