David

Default monitor flickers and dies in cold

The cost to repair is going to likely be very close to replacement cost of a
low end 17" monitor. I see many 17" monitors on sale new for under $90 all
the time.

$200-$300 will get you a top of the line flat screen (not LCD) 17" monitor.

David

Rob wrote in message
m...
Just recently my 4-year-old 17" Relisys TE786 monitor has started
acting up. The picture would randomly just flicker off and on to a
black screen. It took me a while, but I think I've discovered that it
does this when the air conditioning is on. As the room and monitor get
colder, it flickers on and off more, finally it gets to a point where
it the pictures flicks off and doesn't come back on, even though the
monitor is still getting power. Eventually, the picture goes black,
then it clicks a few times and I get a white screen with vertical bars
which usually means the monitor isn't getting input. I wanted to
change the VGA cable, but it's soldered inside the monitor; it doesnt'
just simply unplug.

So I assume I either have a faulty cable, or a cold-sensitive part
inside my monitor. Is this going to be something expensive to repair?
People in another group told me it'd be cheaper to get a new monitor,
but I can't really afford two or three hundred dollars for a new
monitor at this point.

Thanks for any advice,
Rob

Allodoxaphobia

On 17 Aug 2003 09:49:12 -0700, Rob hath writ:
[...]

Nice diagnosing.
It could well be a cold solder joint. But, unless you really, Really,
REALLY, *REALLY* know in your heart-of-hearts that you're "qualified"
to open it up and attempt the repair -- _don't even try!_
Over the years I've located and repaired several cold solder joints
in (various brands of) monitors here on my own home lan.

Jonesy

On 17 Aug 2003 09:49:12 -0700, (Rob) wrote:

[...]

A repair shop will charge almost as much as a new monitor. If you are
semi-competent and understand the safety issues of working inside a
monitor, it's likely an easy fix.

Does the picture go in/out if you wiggle the cable - probably a bad
connection and you just need to cut and resolder the cable.
Otherwise, there is possibly a bad solder joint on one of the boards.

-Chris