John Larkin

Default "Y1" component designation?

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 07:52:40 -0500, Andrew Rossmann
wrote:

In article xpi%a.153222$Ho3.18533@sccrnsc03,
says...
it is a crystal or ceramic resenator, possibly 3.58mHz

This makes me wonder: Where did some of these letter designations come
from? Why are most IC's labeled U1, U2, etc..? I'm guessing Y is from
crYstal? How about L (or sometimes E) for inductors? Q for transistors?

There was, probably still is, a MIL spec that defines standard
reference designators. It's mostly familiar, with some quaint usages,
such as D for dynamotor, DS for lamp, and CR (crystal rectifier) for
diode. I think there's an ANSI standard, too. Nowadays, everybody
seems to make up their own weird designators, like CON for connector,
TR for transistor, and IC for, well, an IC.

Anybody got horrible examples?

John