DaveC

Default "Y1" component designation?

Printed on this circuit board next to a component is "Y1". It looks like a
small tantalum cap (yellow, shiny [epoxy?], "radial" leads [side-by-side]).
Printed on the side of it is a logo (can't make it out) and:

3.58U

I don't remember seeing a "Y" designation before. What is it?

Thanks,
--
Dave C.

DaveC

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 21:28:13 -0700, Tom Woodrow wrote
(in message xpi%a.153222$Ho3.18533@sccrnsc03):

it is a crystal or ceramic resenator, possibly 3.58mHz

Thanks.

Is 3.58 MHz common? It looks familiar, like a common TV oscillator frequency,
IIRC. Should be able to easily find a replacement?
--
Dave C.

George Patrick

DaveC wrote:

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 21:28:13 -0700, Tom Woodrow wrote
(in message xpi%a.153222$Ho3.18533@sccrnsc03):

it is a crystal or ceramic resenator, possibly 3.58mHz

Thanks.

Is 3.58 MHz common? It looks familiar, like a common TV oscillator frequency,
IIRC. Should be able to easily find a replacement?

It's the color burst reference (at least for NTSC, I don't know about PAL).
Every TV has one.

--
+--------------------------------+----------------------------------+
| George H. Patrick, III | Resources for PCB Designers on |

| http://www.pcb-designer.com |
+--------------------------------+----------------------------------+
| Take what you like and leave the rest... My opinion ONLY. |

Asimov

"Andrew Rossmann" bravely wrote to "All" (16 Aug 03 07:52:40)
--- on the topic of " "Y1" component designation?"

I don't thing the Y prefix is for a crystal. Like was stated I thought
it was for a resonnant filter, i.e ceramic or other type. These tend to
have 3 legs instead of a crystal's 2.

These resonnators are often used to replace a tuned coil because they
are a lot smaller, have a high Q, and can be more accurate without
requiring any tuning adjustment.

AR From: Andrew Rossmann
AR In article xpi%a.153222$Ho3.18533@sccrnsc03,
AR says...
it is a crystal or ceramic resenator, possibly 3.58mHz

AR This makes me wonder: Where did some of these letter designations
AR come from? Why are most IC's labeled U1, U2, etc..? I'm guessing Y is
AR from crYstal? How about L (or sometimes E) for inductors? Q for
AR transistors?
AR --
AR If there is a no_junk in my address, please REMOVE it before replying!
AR All junk mail senders will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the
AR law!!
AR
http://home.att.net/~andyross

.... Dunno if we'll get that past the CSA und UL 'owever.

DaveC

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 15:15:02 -0700, Asimov wrote
(in message ):

"Andrew Rossmann" bravely wrote to "All" (16 Aug 03 07:52:40)
--- on the topic of " "Y1" component designation?"

I don't thing the Y prefix is for a crystal. Like was stated I thought
it was for a resonnant filter, i.e ceramic or other type. These tend to
have 3 legs instead of a crystal's 2.

These resonnators are often used to replace a tuned coil because they
are a lot smaller, have a high Q, and can be more accurate without
requiring any tuning adjustment.

Now I (OP) am confused. It's not a crystal. I thought a ceramic resonator has
only 2 leads, while a filter has more(?)

But you say (I think you did...) that it is a filter.

Can you clarify a little?
--
Dave C.

DaveC

Default For example, this xtal...

Jameco has a low-profile xtal that is compatible with some Motorola
microprocessors, or so this page says:

http://www.jameco.com/cgi-
bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/jameco/searchResult.d2w/report?sort=BPA&search=137816
cd

Can I replace a ceramic resonator with this xtal? Do I need to add anything
else to the circuit?

Thanks,
--
Dave C.

Michael Black

DaveC ) writes:
On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 15:15:02 -0700, Asimov wrote
(in message ):

"Andrew Rossmann" bravely wrote to "All" (16 Aug 03 07:52:40)
--- on the topic of " "Y1" component designation?"

I don't thing the Y prefix is for a crystal. Like was stated I thought
it was for a resonnant filter, i.e ceramic or other type. These tend to
have 3 legs instead of a crystal's 2.

These resonnators are often used to replace a tuned coil because they
are a lot smaller, have a high Q, and can be more accurate without
requiring any tuning adjustment.

Now I (OP) am confused. It's not a crystal. I thought a ceramic resonator has
only 2 leads, while a filter has more(?)

But you say (I think you did...) that it is a filter.

Can you clarify a little?

I'm pretty sure I've seen Y1 to denote crystals, but for the life of
me I can't be certain. Of course! If nowhere else, the ARRL used Y1
to denote a crystal. Bill Orr's Radio Handbook used the same prefix.

Now, I'm not sure the circuit board designator would differentiate
between a crystal and a ceramic resonator. But since I just scrapped
a bunch of boards last week, I don't have anything handy to check.
So I think a manufacturer might use X or Y for the crystal, but
whatever they used, they'd use it for ceramic resonators.

Now for the issue of "filter". A lot of these oscillators use a pair
of capacitors from each side of the crystal (or ceramic resonator)
to ground:

------|Y1|---------
| |
C1 C2
|________|
ground

Not all oscillators, just the type you often see in digital equipment.

You'd need them whether Y1 was a crystal or a ceramic resonator.

Now, since that's the case, and ceramic resonators can include them,
you can get ceramic resonators with those two capacitors built in.
I would not call it a filter, but it would have three leads (the middle
one being ground). If you put one of those in where the capacitors
were already in place, you might not get good oscillation.

There are of course little ceramic things with three leads that are
indeed filters, as in IF filters. You can use those in oscillators,
I've seen circuits that sort of amount to novelty, but they are not
the same thing as the ceramic filters with the built in capacitors.

Now, if I remember your original post, it sure sounds like a ceramic
resonator. I'd say they are interchangeable with crystals (or vice
versa), given the issue of those external capacitors. If the
circuit expects a resonator with the capacitors, the crystal will
require external capacitors (because they will not be built in).
Ceramic resonators are cheaper to manufacture than crystals, and
not as good in performance as crystals. But for many applications,
the ceramic resonator is fine. Putting a crystal should be fine,
though the reverse situation might not be suitable (depending on
the specific application). There might be a few places where
the design requires the ceramic resonator, because I gather they
can be varied in frequency by changing load capacitors, more than
the average crystal. But that would be a specific exception.

If the thing has two leads only, then the issue of the extra
capacitors doesn't exist. Pull a crystal of the correct frequency
out of something, and there you go.

Michael

DaveC

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 18:36:35 -0700, Michael Black wrote
(in message ):

Now, if I remember your original post, it sure sounds like a ceramic
resonator. I'd say they are interchangeable with crystals (or vice
versa), given the issue of those external capacitors.

There are no caps in this oscillator circuit. The resonator has a 33 ohm (or
22; I can't tell if those are red or orange stripes) resistor connecting each
of its 2 pins to ground. One end of the resonator also connects directly to a
pin of the microcontroller. The other end connects via a 1M ohm resistor to
another pin of the microcontroller.

Given this circuit, can I replace the resonator with a crystal? Such as:

http://www.jameco.com/cgi-
bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/jameco/searchResult.d2w/report?sort=BPA&search=137816
cd

Thanks,
--
Dave C.

Clifton T. Sharp Jr.

DaveC
There are no caps in this oscillator circuit. The resonator has a 33 ohm (or
22; I can't tell if those are red or orange stripes) resistor connecting each
of its 2 pins to ground.

That really really really sounds like 33 pF caps to me. Are those "resistors"
the same color as the other resistors on the PCB?

--
All relevant people are pertinent.
All rude people are impertinent.
Tom Woodrow

ok 3.58 megacycles

3.58MHz actually, mHz = milliHertz, stupid boy!

DaveC wrote:

Printed on this circuit board next to a component is "Y1". It looks like

small tantalum cap (yellow, shiny [epoxy?], "radial" leads

[side-by-side]).

Printed on the side of it is a logo (can't make it out) and:

3.58U

I don't remember seeing a "Y" designation before. What is it?

Thanks,

Michael Black

Tom Woodrow ) writes:
ok 3.58 megacycles

Actually, since this is about being picky, that too would be incorrect.

What you must mean to say is "3.58 megacycles per second". Without
the additional bit, it technically means nothing, because it does not
specify the period during which all those cycles are counted.

When Megahertz were introduced, it was defined as including the "per second"
bit, making it unnecessary to spell it out.

Michael

DaveC wrote:

Printed on this circuit board next to a component is "Y1". It looks like

small tantalum cap (yellow, shiny [epoxy?], "radial" leads

[side-by-side]).

Printed on the side of it is a logo (can't make it out) and:

3.58U

I don't remember seeing a "Y" designation before. What is it?

Thanks,

Clifton T. Sharp Jr.

Asimov wrote:
I just scrapped an IBM aptiva board and wouldn't you know it the
crystals are labelled with the "Y" prefix!

BUT!!!

A scrapped cell phone I opened here uses the "X" prefix for crystals!!!
Thanks a lot! I hope you're all confused now...

And then there's K vs. RY for relays... U vs. IC for integrated circuits...

A ceramic resonnator tends to have 3 pins though some only have 2.

I could be wrong, but I was led to believe that resonators have two, and
ceramic filters have three.

--
All relevant people are pertinent.
All rude people are impertinent.
Therefore, no rude people are relevant.
-- Solomon W. Golomb

Asimov

"Clifton T. Sharp Jr." bravely wrote to "All" (17 Aug 03 10:18:28)
--- on the topic of " "Y1" component designation?"

CTSJ From: "Clifton T. Sharp Jr."

CTSJ Asimov wrote:
A ceramic resonnator tends to have 3 pins though some only have 2.

CTSJ I could be wrong, but I was led to believe that resonators have two,
CTSJ and ceramic filters have three.

Thanks, you are right there, I mixed the 2 a bit, though I think the
main difference between them is that a ceramic filter simply gets an
extra pin attached to it. I experimented with this and found a filter
will work as a resonnator if the middle pin is just left floating.
However, I don't recall if the design frequency was affected. Does it?

Asimov
******

.... I worked hard to attach the electrodes to it.

DaveC

DaveC:

There are no caps in this oscillator circuit. The resonator has a 33 ohm
(or 22; I can't tell if those are red or orange stripes) resistor
connecting each of its 2 pins to ground.

Clifton T. Sharp Jr.:

That really really really sounds like 33 pF caps to me. Are those "resistors"
the same color as the other resistors on the PCB?

No, they're bright green. Are they caps? I presumed because they're the same
size as a 1/4 watt resistor and they use the resistor color code that they
are resistors. Is this "duck" not a duck?

Thanks,
--
Dave C.

Michael Black

DaveC ) writes:
DaveC:

There are no caps in this oscillator circuit. The resonator has a 33 ohm
(or 22; I can't tell if those are red or orange stripes) resistor
connecting each of its 2 pins to ground.

Clifton T. Sharp Jr.:

That really really really sounds like 33 pF caps to me. Are those "resistors"
the same color as the other resistors on the PCB?

No, they're bright green. Are they caps? I presumed because they're the same
size as a 1/4 watt resistor and they use the resistor color code that they
are resistors. Is this "duck" not a duck?

Thanks,
--
Dave C.

I'm with Clifton. It doesn't quite make sense if they are resistors,
and the very more so if they were really 22 or 33 ohm resistors. That's
a pretty big load on the crystal. Take an ohmmeter and measure them. Likely
you won't see a low resistance across them.

Michael

DaveC

Dave C:

If I have a difficult time finding a replacement ceramic resonator, can I
replace it in this circuit with a crystal? Are they directly compatible?

Sverre Holm:

The ceramic resonators are usually cheaper than crystals, see eg.
http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?hand...roductid= 311
096&e_categoryid=28&e_pcodeid=6484 $0.45, so there is no need to try to
replace it [with a crystal].

---

I'm having a tough time finding a ceramic resonator locally. I know I can
find one on-line and mail-order. But I want to fix this *now*.

Can I replace a resonator *directly* with a crystal? Any modifications needed
to the circuit?

Thanks,
--
Dave C.

Clifton T. Sharp Jr.

Asimov wrote:
Thanks, you are right there, I mixed the 2 a bit, though I think the
main difference between them is that a ceramic filter simply gets an
extra pin attached to it. I experimented with this and found a filter
will work as a resonnator if the middle pin is just left floating.
However, I don't recall if the design frequency was affected. Does it?

Beware the faulty memory, but if I recall right a filter can have more
than one resonator element. I suspect the caps might have a small effect
(there's a cap from each resonator lead to the common IIRC) but it
shouldn't throw things off wildly; if you were going for that much
precision you'd have used crystals.

--
All relevant people are pertinent.
All rude people are impertinent.
Therefore, no rude people are relevant.
-- Solomon W. Golomb

Daniel Rudy

Somewhere around the time of 08/16/2003 17:15, the world stopped and
listened as Asimov spoke these words of wisdom...:

"Andrew Rossmann" bravely wrote to "All" (16 Aug 03 07:52:40)
--- on the topic of " "Y1" component designation?"

I don't thing the Y prefix is for a crystal. Like was stated I thought
it was for a resonnant filter, i.e ceramic or other type. These tend to
have 3 legs instead of a crystal's 2.

I have an old 1970 ARRL Handbook and it has crystals listed as Y. I
also have a 2002 handbook and it has crystals and ceramic resonators
listed as Y. To me, anything with a Y designation is a resonant
component that is either a crystal or ceramic resonator.
--
Daniel Rudy

Remove nospam, invalid, and 0123456789 to reply.

Cleaning flue component for combi boiler PJ UK diy 4 December 1st 03 07:26 PM
Component ID tiger x Electronics 2 November 15th 03 02:19 AM
jvc hr-j200e stange component pekka vihavainen Electronics Repair 1 August 1st 03 08:01 AM
Central Heating Component ID? Nigel Percy UK diy 6 July 4th 03 11:18 AM