Posted to alt.home.repair
J0HNS0N J0HNS0N is offline

Default Record number of Americans trading electric cars for SUVs ...

On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 17:21:17 -0400, songbird
wrote:

notbob wrote:
J0HNS0N wrote:

My current second car (2014 Honda Civic) gets 30+ MPG.....

Which pretty much sucks, IMO.

I hadda '87 Civic Si hatchback which got 36-37 up until about 200K
miles. Then, mileaged diminished to a low of 32-33. For other
reasons, I hadda buy a Japanese DX tranny to replace the abused close
ratio Si tranny and the higher gearing brought my mileage back up to
about 36 mpg. The car was still getting 34+ when I sold it w/ 250K on
the odometer. So I'm kinda baffled by the praise for a fairly new car
that's getting 5 mpg less than a worn out ol' clunker made 27 yrs ago.

In short, car mileage on today's cars is less than what it was.
What's wrong with this picture?

depends upon which version too. my ancient DX
runs anywhere from 35 to 45mpg depending upon
what kind of driving i'm doing,

but it has a
90something HP engine. others had other options
for more HP. i still enjoy driving it.

That may be the difference. My 2014 Civic is 1.8L rated at 143 HP.