Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Record number of Americans trading electric cars for SUVs ...

On 4/26/2015 10:03 AM, trader_4 wrote:

A rider's POV video of BMW's electric motorcycle made me very envious.
Silent, great acceleration, very low center of mass. It even has
computer torque control for racing on slippery pavement.

I can see an electric being a good choice for a second car that
is used locally, for commuting to the train station work days,
etc. But the range and charging hassles wouldn't make it an
acceptable choice for my main car. Another drawback is what it
takes to get the amps required to charge it into your garage.
In some houses, that could be easy, ie if the panel is right there.
In others, if the panel is at the other end of the house with
a finished basement, no easy path to the garage, it could be a
big problem.

Range is one reason I'm not interested. Along with that, the initial
cost and the cost of a battery replacement about five years down the road.

What I'm also interested in, how good is the climate control? The
temperatures here can vary from below zero to about 100 at the extemes.
My present gas powered cars handle it with ease after a few minutes
driving. Can the electrics give me the same comfort?

They may be practical some time in the future, but my guess is an
alternate fuel will be the long term answer.