Posted to alt.home.repair
(PeteCresswell) (PeteCresswell) is offline

Default anyone here use... heating loops in concrete driveway/sidewalk?

Per songbird:
i think it's a huge waste of energy and
resources... but some people have to have the
drive clear each time it snows.

I wonder what somebody living up in lake-effect-snow country (like
Watertown, NY) would have to say about this.

The one time I was up there, the only bare road that I saw was a rough
circle where the two main streets of town crossed.

AFIK, they did not plow up there. Instead they would run road graders
to smooth out the snow on the roads.

And I never saw anybody stuck or having problems....

In a book called "Paradise Below Zero" by a guy named Calvin Rutstrom,
the author says that their retirement home is in snow country and they
have a second main entrance some feet off the ground which they switch
over to using once the snow gets high enough. And they just go
everywhere via snowmobile.
--
Pete Cresswell