Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark Zacharias Mark Zacharias is offline

Default 4 channel oscilloscopes - what are they good for?

"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 07:53:50 -0700, jurb6006 wrote:

When you go beyond two traces, you usually are looking at logic levels.
Many scopes only have two full blown channels but add another couple
that do not have the gain or the full blown attenuator and all that.
They are more for looking at logic levels and so forth, not complex
signal analysis. Well it is, but not analog signal analysis.

Well, I had the case off this one a while back and all four channels
appear 'fully-featured' in that respect so far as I can see.

In other words, Elenco, Hotachi, whoever, they are saying "If you want a
****ing Tektronix, buy a Tektronix". However, some Tektronix models
might do it as well, I can't say because to do so I would have to be
familiar with EVERY model they ever made, and the only guy who ever came
close was Jim Yanik (NRA member). He used to post here and worked for
Tektronix for about 350 years. This guy, you post like "I have a 7613
and it is... ... ..." describe the problem and he would come back with
something like "Likely R456, but it could be a shorted C421 and that is
a bitch to get to".

I remember Jim from s.e.d I think it was. I hope he's still alive and
kicking. A very useful fellow to have access to indeed.

So, what is the model number, how much do you want for it and where the
hell are you geographically ? I know someone who might be interested if
it is a good deal.

It's the PM3264 and I'm in the UK. I'd like to avoid packaging and
international shipping if poss, so will try to off-load it locally before
seeking an overseas buyer. I don't think these old analogues fetch much
these days; 150 quid tops I would guess. Dunno what that is in your $$$$.

That is if you can get by with only 12 scopes.

I want to get down to 3 *max* eventually, not counting the 2 rather
exotic analogue storage scopes I have which I want to be buried with. No
way am I selling those!

My most-used 'scope is a Tektronix 2246 4-channel.

Channels 1 and 2 are semi-permanently devoted to power amp measurements and
the 8-ohm loads stay there.
I will often use channels 3 and 4, since the vertical sensitivity is limited
to .1v or .5v switchable, to monitor the amp input.

For troubleshooting at the circuit level I generally use a Tek 465 on the
same bench.

Mark Z.