Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 4 channel oscilloscopes - what are they good for?

On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 13:25:15 +0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
wrote:

I've currently got 13 scopes of various types; most of 'em vintage.

I just counted my collection at 15 (including those that are not
currently functional). I win.

I like it that way, old stuff. But it's far too many scopes in all honesty,
all taking up valuable space.

Yeah, I know the feeling. This is from 2011. Only one scope has
moved since the photo was taken:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/scopes-to-be-fixed.jpg

One of the candidates for selling-off is a
4 channel Philips job (plain analogue). I can't remember ever having had
a need for examining 4 signals at once, but thought I'd better check with
the Panel first, just in case its a rare and valuable beast and nothing
else will do for some obscure application that may well crop up as soon
as I no longer have it around.

I've used a 4 channel scope as a makeshift digital logic analyzer.
Somewhat useful for catching glitches. The only time I really needed
4 channels was when I was working on a 3 channel TDOA (time difference
of arrival) radio direction finder. I displayed the various delays on
each channel, with the 4th used for probing the circuitry.

So... get rid or hang on?

What model? What condition? Duz it all work?

(Scraped from eBay listings):
http://www.theoscilloscopeshop.com/philips-oscilloscopes.html
Also check the ebay sold items for your unspecified model scope.

Unless it's something valuable or useful, I suggest that you sell it.
I can't even give away my old analog scopes. The few I've given away
to starving students are usually returned after a few weeks with
comments like "too big" or "not enough features". Everyone seems to
want a (Rigol) DSO after they've played with one. For myself, I use
an oscilloscope program on my PC and an app on my tablet more often
than my various bench oscilloscopes.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D