Posted to sci.electronics.repair
MJC MJC is offline

Default Radio Shack Model 277-1008 Mini Amplifier For Person with Disability: Where To Get Now

In article ,
says...

But now, the volume control may not be a suitable marker, the control

may
not be attenuating the audio signal, but varying a DC voltage to control a
stage that is controlling volume."

Or a rotary encoder going to the microprocessor.

I rather like my old JVC hi-fi in which the remote control (which
unfortunately was stolen!) causes a motor to turn a nice large volume
control knob, on which a flashing LED shows what setting it has reached.
Much better than a digital display!

I have only recently given up using my Nikko TRM 40LA amplifier which I
bought second hand from an ex-pat colleague on a business trip to NY
City in the early 1970s. Although it was fairly heavy (with of course a
large power transformer) it came back to the UK embedded in my dirty
laundry in my suitcase. Since the instruction booklet included a
schematic I tweaked some circuits as I saw fit...

Mike.