Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default Electric meter conversion to wireless, I doubt this could besafe

On 7/9/2015 9:11 AM, Bennett wrote:
In California, the Public Utilities Commission has established rules for
those wishing to opt out of "Smart Meters" and stay with analog meters.
A one time $75 charge and then $10/month for 3 years. After
that there's no extra charge. (The $75 +$10/month covers both the
wireless electric and natural gas meters - you don't pay $150 + 20/mo
if you have both.) The charge is meant to cover the added cost of
someone coming to your residence every other month to read the meters.

Sounds rather expensive given that my neighbor's wireless meter
is about 10 feet further from the bedroom than mine...and the
other neighbor's wireless meter is about 60 feet closer to my
bedroom than mine...and I spend most of my time three feet
from a wireless router.

When people start bitching about the dangers of electric power lines,
I like to ask them if they spend a third of their life under
an electric blanket.
That shuts most of them up really quickly.