Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Electric meter conversion to wireless, I doubt this could be safe

wrote:

To answer your question Jon, yes I do use a cell phone, but rarely, my
grandchildren are too young to have phones and no you won't find a
bluetooth sticking out of my ear. It's also a matter of choice. I choose
to use my cell phone and I've chosen not to use wireless or a bluetooth.
What the power company is doing is taking away my choice and that's just
wrong.

I use a cell phone as little as possible. Not sure there really is any risk
to it, but I just don't know. The damn things barely work, anyway, the
sound quality is awful and the mike and speaker are so close together you
can either hear, or be heard, but not both at once.

But, compared to a cell phone, or the now-ubiquitous cell towers, and other
transmitters all over, the electric meters are REALLY a minimal
contribution.
Here in New Hampshire we have a motto. If you Google our license plates
you'll see it. It reads: "Live free or die". That means something to all
of us. I don't mean to get into a political debate here but really when
you boil it all down regardless of power level, in a free country what
right do these people have to irradiate me against my will? Lenny

Well, if you feel strongly enough about it, the only option is have the
electrc service taken out!

I think you are going WAY overboard with this "irradiate me" statement.
These meters are such a small source of RF, and quite intermittent too.
Do you have the right to shut off all cell towers when you happen to be near
them? How about broadcast radio and TV? How about various radars operating
all over? You may not be aware of how MUCH electromagnetic radiation there
is going on from all these sources, but there really is a lot.

Oh, you know those things near the doors of most retail shops that have
something to do with deterring ahoplifting? Are you aware these are also
radio transmitters that interrogate anti-theft devices in many of the
products you buy at the local store? Do the stores even bother to tell
anybody what those devices are? You bet they don't tell you!

What I'm trying to point out here is that these meters that you are so
concerned about are tiny, compared to the huge "irradiation" you are
recieving all day, from a bunch of other sources that you may be totally
unaware of.

Jon