Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Shaun Shaun is offline

Default Electric meter conversion to wireless, I doubt this could be safe

wrote in message

We received a notice from the power company that they intend to replace our
two electric meters with the new wireless units. These meters emit short
bursts of RF multiple times a day at a fairly substantial RF level. These
transmissions are received by a "collector" which is apparently mounted on a
utility pole on the street. This data is sent to a receiver and computer in
a power company truck as it drives by and returned to their office where
it's downloaded and bills are generated. Great for the power company but not
for the meter readers. There are people all over the country up in arms over
these things. Some have blocked installations and have been arrested for it.

While it's true that many of them are non technical people who just need
something to jump up and down about my grand children sleep in the room
adjacent to the meters and I think that I understand a little bit more about
this, and it concerns me.

I asked the power company to provide me with more information and initially
I was stonewalled until I contacted my state representative who then
contacted them for me. Now they're kissing my ass with information but still
telling me this is going to happen at some near point in the future.

Has anyone else had to deal with this and can you comment on my safety
concerns? If it's true that there is no recourse to them making this
modification, to increase the distance squared I've considered moving the
meters to a utility pole which is on my property about 75 feet from the
house. this would probably have to be at my expense I suspect.

The following is some information about these meters. Some of it I had
requested and some extra which they threw in. I know that it's a lot to look
at but if you can I'd really appreciate if you guys could please have a look
at it and tell me what you think. I'm really concerned about this. Thanks
very much. Lenny

Q. I understand these units operate in RF - Radio Frequency. Are they
emitting short or
long range signals?
A: The signal from the meter is transmitted in the range 902-928 MHz
(mega-hertz). The
reading capability is dependent on a number of variables and cannot be
accurately assessed
without site specific information, but typically the signal may be received
by the meter reading
equipment within 1/4 mile or so.
2)
Q: Regarding the signal, is it a "Bubble-Up" unit where it is transmitting
all the time or is it
a "Wake-Up" unit where it transmits when it receives a signal?
A: The meter transmits reading data every 30 seconds in a brief milliseconds
burst. The
manufacturer designed it that way to accommodate any reading schedule
required by the
utility. The meter is a one-way communication device. The meter would not
know when the
reading device was going to be in close proximity to the meter, therefore it
needs to transmit
frequently so that it may be read whenever the reading device is nearby.
3)
Q: What frequency and wattage of transmit power is the unit operating at and
at what
antennae gain?
Ex. Unit transmits at 900MHz with 1 watt of transmit power with antennae
gain of 0.
A: The signal from the meter is transmitted in the range 902-928 mhz
(mega-hertz) The
maximum power output for the endpoint devices is less than half a watt,
while the maximum
power output of the collection device is less than 1 watt. In comparison,
the average light bulb is
60 watts.
Frequency = 909 to 922 MHz
Transmit Power = 147 mW (21.67dBm)
Antenna Gain = 0 dB.
4)
Q: What's the antennae gain at peak power and what wattage is the peak
power?
Ex. Antennae gain of 4.0 dBi for peak level power of 2.5 watts.
A: The maximum power output for the endpoint devices is less than half a
watt, while the
maximum power output of the collection device is less than 1 watt. In
comparison, the average
light bulb is 60 watts.
Frequency = 908 to 923.8 MHz
Transmit Power = 250 mW (24dBm)
Antenna Gain = 2.2 dB
5)
Q: How many times in total - both average and maximum - is the unit
scheduled to transmit during a 24-hr time frame?
A: The meter transmits reading data every 30 seconds in a brief milliseconds
burst - about 53 milliseconds referred to as the "duty cycle". The total RF
transmission time in a 24 hour period is between 1.5 - 2.5 minutes depending
on the type of meter and therefore data being transmitted. Signal levels are
1/10th of the "Maximum Permissible Exposure Levels" as defined by the
FCC--lower than many everyday appliances and electronic devices around your
home, and are only transmitted briefly and periodically rather than
constantly.
What's the "first hop" technology being used to send?
Ex. Mobile Radio Frequencies? Mesh Radio Frequencies? Fixed Radio?
A: This is not AMI, this is AMR. There isn't any 'first hop', the data is
transmitted to a computer in a vehicle driving nearby and then the computer
is returned to the utility at the end of the day and directly connected to
the utility internal network and the meter readings are uploaded to utility
internal systems.
6)
Q: Is this unit considered to be a "Licensed" or "Unlicensed" transmitter by
the FCC?
A: The meters operate in the unlicensed 902-928 MHz frequency range and the
devices are regulated by the FCC. Itron's products are stringently evaluated
for RF safety and meet all Federal Communication Commission (FCC), Industry
Canada (IC), and Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE)
standards. FCC OET Bulletin 65 supplement C Edition 01-01 (known as OET-65C)
provides further guidance on determining compliance for portable and mobile
devices.
7)
Q: Because each unit needs power to run itself, what is the unit's power
consumption rate per month?
Ex. 2 kW hours? 1kW hours?
Also, what would be the additional monthly cost of the power the unit needs
to function (based on the # of kW hours it needs to function) as I know you
guys just had a rate hike?
· A: The power to the meter components is supplied on the line side of the
meter. Therefore there is no cost difference associated with the running of
the AMR meter to your previous meter. We are enhancing our technology to
serve you better. Installing AMR meters allows us to continue to provide
safe, timely, accurate meter reading but at a lower cost. Controlling costs
is an important factor in determining Eversource rates.
8)
Q: Does the unit have a battery? What is the battery's life (in years)?
A: Yes there is a battery in the unit. The battery's life is the same as the
life of the meter which is 20 to 25 years..
For more information pertaining to the AMR C1SR Meter please visit the ITRON
website:
https://itron.com/na/resourcesAndSup...nter-FAQs.aspx
https://itron.com/na/resourcesAndSup...esource-Center.

Going wireless is easy; just open up the meter and cut all the wires out of
it. Job Does...... But it won't work anymore and but it is wireless. ;-))

Shaun