Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Chris Jones[_3_] Chris Jones[_3_] is offline

Default Electric meter conversion to wireless, I doubt this could besafe

On 08/07/2015 01:22, wrote:
We received a notice from the power company that they intend to
replace our two electric meters with the new wireless units. These
meters emit short bursts of RF multiple times a day at a fairly
substantial RF level. These transmissions are received by a
"collector" which is apparently mounted on a utility pole on the
street. This data is sent to a receiver and computer in a power
company truck as it drives by and returned to their office where it's
downloaded and bills are generated. Great for the power company but
not for the meter readers. There are people all over the country up
in arms over these things. Some have blocked installations and have
been arrested for it.

While it's true that many of them are non technical people who just
need something to jump up and down about my grand children sleep in
the room adjacent to the meters and I think that I understand a
little bit more about this, and it concerns me.

You could get a roll of aluminium foil and wallpaper the wall between
the meters and the bedroom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urglg3WimHA

Depending on how careful you are with the joins you could achieve a very
low field strength. This is probably counterproductive as it may
attenuate cellphone signals and thereby cause the cellphones that the
children are using to ramp up the transmitters to maximum power right on
their heads.