Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Electric meter conversion to wireless, I doubt this could be safe

wrote:

Has anyone else had to deal with this and can you comment on my safety
concerns? If it's true that there is no recourse to them making this
modification, to increase the distance squared I've considered moving the
meters to a utility pole which is on my property about 75 feet from the
house. this would probably have to be at my expense I suspect.

Do you have a cell phone? It emits enough power to be received 20 miles
away, and transmits bursts 20+ times a second when you are talking.

The electronic meters send messages to a concentrator that is no more than
about 2 blocks away, every few minutes. Generally, the concentrators send
the data to a central site directly, through a second antenna on it.

There are 50 KW radio stations in almost every town, and TV stations (now
all in the UHF band) running 100KW - 500KW output. It seems ridiculous to
complain about these meters, when people are using cell phones, bluetooth,
and all manner of other devices that radiate far more energy.

Jon