Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Pat[_9_] Pat[_9_] is offline

Default Power Supply For HP dv1040us Laptop

On Sat, 27 Jun 2015 09:41:51 -0500, Matthew Fries
wrote:

On Sat, 27 Jun 2015 12:48:09 +0000 (UTC), "tb"
wrote:

Does anyone know if a novice armed with just a few Phillips
screwdrivers can easily replace the power supply of an HP dv1040us
laptop?

Where would I purchase such power supply?

Apparently mine has died and the laptop does not boot up. I cannot
hear the inside fans turning nor the hard drive spinning.

I just purchased a new power supply for my Toshiba Satellite laptop
from Amazon. Just do a search for power supply and your laptop model
number, and I'm sure you will get a bunch of hits. The price was very
low... $8. I have been using it for about a week now, and it seems OK.

To the OP:
Your question is worded in such a way that it appears you think the
power supply is inside the laptop. It isn't. It is that black
rectangular thing half way along the power cord. The supplies
themselves don't fail that often, but the connectors that plug into
the computer do. See if you can borrow a friend's power supply to
test your theory. If the supply or its connector is bad, you can
easily find replacements online or at stores. Googling your model
number resulted in many ads for replacement power supplies. If,
however, the connector in the computer is bad, you will have to have
it repaired by someone with more tools than a few Phillips
screwdrivers. Good luck.