Posted to sci.electronics.repair
tb tb is offline

Default Power Supply For HP dv1040us Laptop

Does anyone know if a novice armed with just a few Phillips
screwdrivers can easily replace the power supply of an HP dv1040us
laptop?

Where would I purchase such power supply?

Apparently mine has died and the laptop does not boot up. I cannot
hear the inside fans turning nor the hard drive spinning.
--
tb
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"tb" wrote in message ...

Does anyone know if a novice armed with just a few Phillips
screwdrivers can easily replace the power supply of an HP dv1040us
laptop?

Where would I purchase such power supply?

Apparently mine has died and the laptop does not boot up. I cannot
hear the inside fans turning nor the hard drive spinning.
--
tb

Ebay would be a good start. Just buy one and plug it in.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 27 Jun 2015 12:48:09 +0000 (UTC), "tb"
wrote:

Does anyone know if a novice armed with just a few Phillips
screwdrivers can easily replace the power supply of an HP dv1040us
laptop?

Where would I purchase such power supply?

Apparently mine has died and the laptop does not boot up. I cannot
hear the inside fans turning nor the hard drive spinning.

I just purchased a new power supply for my Toshiba Satellite laptop
from Amazon. Just do a search for power supply and your laptop model
number, and I'm sure you will get a bunch of hits. The price was very
low... $8. I have been using it for about a week now, and it seems OK.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Does anyone know if a novice armed with just a few Phillips
screwdrivers can easily replace the power supply of an HP dv1040us
laptop?

Where would I purchase such power supply?

Apparently mine has died and the laptop does not boot up. I cannot
hear the inside fans turning nor the hard drive spinning.

I just purchased a new power supply for my Toshiba Satellite laptop
from Amazon. Just do a search for power supply and your laptop model
number, and I'm sure you will get a bunch of hits. The price was very
low... $8. I have been using it for about a week now, and it seems OK.

To the OP:
Your question is worded in such a way that it appears you think the
power supply is inside the laptop. It isn't. It is that black
rectangular thing half way along the power cord. The supplies
themselves don't fail that often, but the connectors that plug into
the computer do. See if you can borrow a friend's power supply to
test your theory. If the supply or its connector is bad, you can
easily find replacements online or at stores. Googling your model
number resulted in many ads for replacement power supplies. If,
however, the connector in the computer is bad, you will have to have
it repaired by someone with more tools than a few Phillips
screwdrivers. Good luck.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Does anyone know if a novice armed with just a few Phillips
screwdrivers can easily replace the power supply of an HP dv1040us
laptop?

Beware of novices bearing screwdrivers.

Where would I purchase such power supply?

eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=HP+dv1040us+power+supply

Apparently mine has died and the laptop does not boot up. I cannot
hear the inside fans turning nor the hard drive spinning.

Power supplies will die, but I've seen more HP laptops with broken
power connectors and power supplies with broken power plugs. That
style of plug has a very fine wire in the center of the cable. If you
bend the cable 90 degrees where it enters the plug, it will eventually
break. If that happens, you can still run the laptop with the power
supply plugged in, but it will not charge the battery.

You might want to take a VOM (volt-ohms-guesser) and measure the
voltage coming out of the power supply (without the laptop). It
should be about 18.5 VDC. If that's what you're seeing, then look for
a problem elsewhere.

Good luck.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 27 Jun 2015 08:16:21 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

Power supplies will die, but I've seen more HP laptops with broken
power connectors and power supplies with broken power plugs. That
style of plug has a very fine wire in the center of the cable. If you
bend the cable 90 degrees where it enters the plug, it will eventually
break. If that happens, you can still run the laptop with the power
supply plugged in, but it will not charge the battery.

Oops. That's wrong. The proper charger connector does NOT have the
broken center wire problem.
http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/1623427915_1/18-5-V-3-5A-65W-Laptop-Adapter-AC-Power-Charger-For-HP-Compaq-Presario-V3000.jpg
I was thinking of this connector:
http://site.bixnet.com/images/products/CNT-C21C24.jpg
which is for a different model.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
tb tb is offline

On 6/27/2015 at 10:15:11 AM Pat wrote:

To the OP:
Your question is worded in such a way that it appears you think the
power supply is inside the laptop. It isn't. It is that black
rectangular thing half way along the power cord. The supplies
themselves don't fail that often, but the connectors that plug into
the computer do. See if you can borrow a friend's power supply to
test your theory. If the supply or its connector is bad, you can
easily find replacements online or at stores. Googling your model
number resulted in many ads for replacement power supplies. If,
however, the connector in the computer is bad, you will have to have
it repaired by someone with more tools than a few Phillips
screwdrivers. Good luck.

I see... I always thought that the black rectangular thing was called
an AC/DC converter. I also thought that inside the laptop there would
be some sort of power supply with power cables that would go to the
fans, the hard drive, the graphics card,etc.; just like in a desktop
computer. I'm not much of a techie...

--
tb
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 27 Jun 2015 15:51:32 +0000 (UTC), "tb"
wrote:

[...]

AC/DC converter is another name for a power supply. As someone else
said, this particular power supply takes 120 VAC in and provides 18.5
or 19 volts DC out. Insiode the laptop, that 19 volts gets regulated
by other components on the motherboard and reduced to the various
voltages needed by the chips (eg, 5 volts, 3.3 volts, etc). If those
circuits on the motherboard have failed, it is likely you need to
replace the motherboard. It may or may not be cost effective to do.