Posted to rec.woodworking
Just Wondering Just Wondering is offline

Default "hook & loop" system sucks!

On 8/14/2015 12:53 PM, John McCoy wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

On 8/13/2015 7:07 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 20:35:48 +0000, John McCoy wrote:

I seem to remember responding way back then. I've still got the
same Bosch sander I had then and I still haven't had to replace the
pad!

Now that's remarkable. I have the PSA version of the sander, and I
have to replace pads every 4 or 5 years. The dense foam rubber
they're made of eventually gets crumbly.

Hmm. I'm not where I can look now, but mine has what appears to be
hard rubber with the hook and loop stuff on it. Never reminded me of
foam. And I don't use it a lot, maybe 20-30 hours a year. Our
humidity is pretty low as well.

Not even the foam pads look like foam, until they fly apart. ;~)

Yeah, they have some sort of harder skin, but they're foam
on the inside.

Back when I bought the sander ('94?) there were two stiffnesses
of pads offered, but now there only seems to be one. I always
thought the harder pad (the one still available) was borderline
too soft anyway, so maybe the softer one didn't sell.

Hard pad for Bosch sander - 16 dollars on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-RS035-5-...=bosch+ros+pad

Soft pad for Bosch sander - 12 dollars.
http://www.amazon.com/BOSCH-In-Soft-...xgy_469_text_y